Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fitted a space saver spare
Merf

Fitted a space saver spare

Thought I'd post my findings as having got my car second hand didn't realise it only had that nasty foam and not a proper spare.

I do a lot of miles on motorways so am happier with a real spare rather than being stuck on the hard shoulder armed only with foam.

My LR garage were useless but found a the whole setup I needed on ebay from another dealer (the jack, spare, inserts and clips)and although it costs more than the £100 if speccing new I've not got a lot of choice as got my car second hand.

Guy told me it wouldn't take more than 10 mins (which I didn't believe) but whole thing going very carefully was a breeze, you simply pop the plastic bay protecter up on the lip of the boot (this can break a couple of little clips but you get spares), then you pop out the old polystyrene tray and slide in the new one (it comes in 2 bits that surround the wheel).

Very easy to do, needed no tools and unboxing to closing the boot took me about 20mins. If anybody thinking about doing this I'd say don't be put off on the grounds it tricky, its not.
16-02-2012 02:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lngrn36

RE: Fitted a space saver spare

Thanks for th info!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
16-02-2012 02:37pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Daigriff

Can you post a link to where you got everything and indication of cost.

Thanks

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
16-02-2012 02:40pm
PhilSkill

(16-02-2012 02:40pm)Daigriff Wrote:  Can you post a link to where you got everything and indication of cost.

Thanks

Quick search found this £375

Spare wheel Kit

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-02-2012 03:18pm
Merf

(16-02-2012 03:18pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Quick search found this £375

Spare wheel Kit

Thats exactly it and the bloke I bought it from, he was excellent, very helpful, they provide their own very clear instructions with pics.

I'm not into car mechanics or using tools at all (this didn't require any other than my penknife to open the box) and consider pumping up tyres and filling the washer bottle as car maintenance so if I can do suspect anybody can
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 04:29pm by Merf.)
16-02-2012 04:28pm
caroline11000

I looked into buying a spare after I got my car and my local LR garage quoted over £300 so I didn't bother. Luckily as my car is being replaced by my dealer I have put a spare wheel on my new order. I didn't think about looking on ebay.

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 04:33pm by caroline11000.)
16-02-2012 04:32pm
Wired

(16-02-2012 02:10pm)Merf Wrote:  I do a lot of miles on motorways so am happier with a real spare rather than being stuck on the hard shoulder armed only with foam.

Considering that I cant even remember having a flat I am quite happy carrying foam. The wheel you now have, as far as I can see it on the picture, is also a low spec low mileage version that will not get you very far.

One of my previous cars was a 5 series BMW with run flat tires. Thats something I will avoid in the future. The sides are so stiff that they are unconfortable and the tyre shops start to curse the moment you enter the shop Shocked

If are carrying a spare, you should have a full one, if not I think the foam does very well and it gives you some extra boothspace and saves weight.

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
16-02-2012 05:17pm
Merf

I'd noticed the debate about spares v foam elsewhere, didnt really want to get involved in that as strikes me as one of those pointless forum arguments where somebody ends up getting called a Nazi.

point of this was to let people know who may want one how easy it is to achieve.
16-02-2012 05:28pm
mark_n

The reality is that the foam is next to useless and will at best get you to somewhere safe, not home. The foam wrecks the tyre and prevents any possible repair. Therefore, I think the spare wheel is a must-have option.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
16-02-2012 09:46pm
griff

Sounds like my £100 was well spent Wink

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
(This post was last modified: 16-02-2012 10:41pm by griff.)
16-02-2012 10:40pm