Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fault messages
RacingSnake

Fault messages

Right, worth posting in here about this...

I started up the car last week, as normal, foot on brake, press the button...
and just for a split moment "EBD Fault" flashed up on the dash display and went away again.
Car started fine and continued fine, no problems at all.

Last night, I started up as normal and momentarily "Gearbox Fault" flashed up on the display Shocked
Again, it disappeared and all was normal.

They only appear for probably half a second, anyone else noticed this? I'm just wondering if I am getting a split second glimpse of the system checks?

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
18-05-2012 08:07am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: Fault messages

Don't see any 'system' messages on my Evoque (6mths) but do get similar on my FL2, but only about once every 6 months. Drop into dealer and get them to quickly run their fault diagnostics on it to see if it ever actually logged a fault - they should be able to check in less than 10 minutes.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
18-05-2012 08:24am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

Can't say I have noticed any on mine.

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
18-05-2012 08:54am
mjibex

(18-05-2012 08:07am)RacingSnake Wrote:  Right, worth posting in here about this...

I started up the car last week, as normal, foot on brake, press the button...
and just for a split moment "EBD Fault" flashed up on the dash display and went away again.
Car started fine and continued fine, no problems at all.

Last night, I started up as normal and momentarily "Gearbox Fault" flashed up on the display Shocked
Again, it disappeared and all was normal.

They only appear for probably half a second, anyone else noticed this? I'm just wondering if I am getting a split second glimpse of the system checks?
The 2 most likely causes of getting these random fault messages are:-
1. Taking your foot off the brake pedal before engine has fully fired.
2. Low battery voltage - have you been doing lots and lots of short runs? Will be more obvious when engine is cold and draws a higher battery voltage.

Other than these then it's a computer plug/diagnose time.

Mark.
25-05-2012 05:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've had both those fault messages come up briefly on my dash, it could also be that the results of the self check that the car's system do on start up are not getting the message back when it thinks it should.

BTW, as many of those who have owned other modern Land and Range Rovers will know, if you get a warning coming up on the dash there are two things to do if it doesn't clear - pull over to the side of the road, switch off the ignition and leave the car stopped for 30-45 seconds. Restarting the engine also reboots all the ECUs etc and often clears the warning. The other is if you are fortunate to be able to access the ECU's with a laptop via the port that is on the steering column of other Land Rovers (I don't know where it is on an Evoque as I have never needed to look) you can read the log files and find the error codes that have been registered in the fault file - these are the same files that you friendly (and often useless) AA man and the service department at your local dealership accesses to fault find.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
26-05-2012 07:12pm
Crustydaemon

Hi Racing Snake,

I encountered the same message and exactly was the same case as yours. Just for a flash of 5-6 secs it said EBD fault this morning. I wanted to know any concern?? or it did it happen to you again??

cheers
25-04-2013 02:37pm
RacingSnake

It largely went away with the various software updates, but I still get it every now and again.

I have only had one instance where the message didn't go away and I had to switch off and on again to make it disappear.

Have not had any particular ill effects from the issue.
So notify your garage and have them look at it on the first service Smile

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
25-04-2013 05:28pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

After having the car just over a year I too got the 'gearbox fault' flash up briefly, it has only happened once and no other problems with the car yet, just hope it doesn't develop into a major problem!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
26-04-2013 10:41am
scrannel

As someone mentioned, Battery needs to be checked. IN a CANBUS system, a low battery will cause the system to throw off random errors.

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
26-04-2013 03:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One other thing that can throw false warnings is failure of a rear lamp - this is a common problem with RRS, Disco3 and Disco4 and FFRR. So if warnings keep re-appearing, apart from checking that there isn't really a fault, check all the tail lights are working properly. Poor battery condition is the most frequent cause of this issue though and I note that the new FFRR and the new Jag F type now have a plug in battery conditioner on the options list

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 09:15am by XFullFatTim.)
28-04-2013 09:14am