Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FT review
abcya

FT review

Financial Times review
Nothing much you didn't know, but the writer did make a comment that he achieved 38mpg which it was assumed would improve "once the engine is bedded-in"
There's a link to an older article reviewing off-road driving days, the history of Range Rover and a nice pic of the Evoque in the tunnel they all drove through.
03-09-2011 01:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gorjan

RE: FT review

Why do people think the engine will be more efficient after a while? As i remember, it was stated in my last Merc owner's manual there is no need to break into the engine ( i don't know the proper term) as every engine is tested in factory and broken into... I think this is some older myth...

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
03-09-2011 02:14pm
paulus599

True, with most of the modern engines it's not necessary to run them in before you apply full load/power (or at least the manufacturers claim that). Engines will still give better fuel economy once they have a few thousand mile on the clock though.

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
03-09-2011 02:21pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

What Land Rover (and most other makers) say in the handbook is that for the first 1000 miles or so not to make the engine labour at low revs in a high gear or rev the engine hard in a low gear. These days the makers can do some very clever things with ECUs and also engine tolerances are much finer than they were 30 years ago. What to watch with the engine in the Evoque is OIL consumption - the diesel engine material has a high carbon content in the casting and they tend to absorb a couple of litres in the first 1000-1500miles and then in my experience the consumption stops, so do monitor oil consumption carefully for the first month or so. The engine in the Evoque isn't a JLR design it is a modified Ford/Peugeot-Citroen engine - the air intake, lubrication and ECU are modified to suit the offloading that the car is capable of. The same engine in the new 2.2 Jag XF will not stand being run at anywhere near the 45 degrees your Evoque is capable of running at, the Jag, various Citroens, Pugs and Fords will also not wade in 500mm of water................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
03-09-2011 04:04pm
ED209

That website is totally unreadable.
03-09-2011 05:52pm
cjfp

Works for me ok on IE9

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
03-09-2011 06:07pm
ED209

(03-09-2011 06:07pm)cjfp Wrote:  Works for me ok on IE9

it works, its just an utterly crap hard to use site design
03-09-2011 06:23pm