Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque vs. BMW X3
Xvoyag

Evoque vs. BMW X3

Head-to-head: Range Rover Evoque v BMW X3: A brief review.
Sydney Morning Herald, Steve Colquhoun

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/headt...1okfi.html

And the verdict is......Evoque, with qualifications.
12-12-2011 09:03am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BMW86

RE: Evoque vs. BMW X3

Great review for 2 great SUV's. I was set on the X3 before I experienced the Evoque Smile

2009 BMW 135i Coupe - with a few mods Wink
2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition ABS
2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG - on the way
12-12-2011 10:46am
Horsey

Funny you say that, I was really set on an Evoque until I tried the X3!

I had been coveting the Evoque for a long time and was about to buy one when someone suggested I try the BMW X3 ...

I tried both the 2.2 diesel and the 2.0 petrol, but both left me feeling not quite satisfied.

Admittedly it was a BMW X3 35D, which was slightly more expensive, but by the time I had factored everything in, there wasn't much in it.

The Evoque looks cool, but the X3 is a monster to drive ... and I worry that I will grow out of the Evoque's looks.

What was unexpected was that on one of the Evoque test drives the salesman managed to crash into a mini when demonstrating the automatic parking!

It's a shame, because I was really trying to persuade myself to love the Evoque, but there was just something more engaging about the X3 35D.

I still have fights with my wife ... she loves the look of the Evoque and wanted me to get one.

Anyway, I have written a blog to chronicle my journey of deciding between an X3 or a Range Rover Evoque at http://x3orevoque.co.uk
29-03-2012 10:00pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Where's the switch that gives switchable 4WD? My understanding of "switchable" 4WD is that you run in 2WD most of the time and then select 4WD when you want it? I think what they are talking about is the Terrain Response selector.........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-03-2012 10:11pm
IKM

Not that well written an article or comparison. It depends what you want from a car. For me LR/RR always win against current competition.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
29-03-2012 10:23pm
mark_n

(29-03-2012 10:00pm)Horsey Wrote:  I still have fights with my wife ... she loves the look of the Evoque and wanted me to get one.

Anyway, I have written a blog to chronicle my journey of deciding between an X3 or a Range Rover Evoque at http://x3orevoque.co.uk

Your wife is obviously a better judge of style and design than you are and you do not deserve her.

As for the blog, I gave up the will to live when you showed pictures of the white X3 you have set your heart on. It looks ridiculous and the only reason the BMW salesman is burning the midnight oil is to come up with excuses - anything - why he's missed his sales targets.

For sure, people will point their fingers at you whether you are driving an Evoque or an X3. The difference is that if you drive an X3 (especially a white one), they'll be laughing as well...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-03-2012 12:15am
Evoqess

Hmm a blog to help you decide!? I think it's more like a discourse explaining why you chose an X3 when your heart wanted an Evoque.
The Evoque is the stunning, mysterious woman you really desire but you opted for the dull choice. To blend in with the masses.
I do find the X3 completely boring - I would never ever have exchanged my Audi TTS for it.
I needed a car with soul!
The relationship has not waned for me after 5 months. I spend less time on the forum as I'm out enjoying my car. The Evoque is not for everyone. It's for the enthusiasts who value style and performance and don't need a bunch of roses for the wife and fake smiles on delivery day!

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
30-03-2012 05:59am
chiggy

(30-03-2012 05:59am)Evoqess Wrote:  Hmm a blog to help you decide!? I think it's more like a discourse explaining why you chose an X3 when your heart wanted an Evoque.
The Evoque is the stunning, mysterious woman you really desire but you opted for the dull choice. To blend in with the masses.
I do find the X3 completely boring - I would never ever have exchanged my Audi TTS for it.
I needed a car with soul!
The relationship has not waned for me after 5 months. I spend less time on the forum as I'm out enjoying my car. The Evoque is not for everyone. It's for the enthusiasts who value style and performance and don't need a bunch of roses for the wife and fake smiles on delivery day!
\
Will you marry me...

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
30-03-2012 06:31am
sethor

(30-03-2012 05:59am)Evoqess Wrote:  Hmm a blog to help you decide!? I think it's more like a discourse explaining why you chose an X3 when your heart wanted an Evoque.

I 100% agree.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
30-03-2012 07:53am
chiggy

(30-03-2012 07:53am)sethor Wrote:  I 100% agree.

+1.

And it still seems like you're trying to convince yourself that choosing the X3 was a better option... even after you've bought it and in your heart you still feel like the evoque is definitely the more exciting car...

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
30-03-2012 08:00am