Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque just died, giving dozens of error codes, won't recognize key, etc
PhilSkill

RE: Evoque just died, giving dozens of error codes, won't recognize key, etc

They don't screw, they push, but I think if you don't get it into service mode, you cant retract the pistons properly, as the handbrake mechanism is still engaged with the piston. I could be wrong on that, but would be wary of forcing the pistons without having it in service mode.

Explain what happens when trying as I've put mine into Service mode successfully, first time no problems using those instructions.

Screwfix have a suitable one for £19.99, can get it cheaper on Fleabay.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-12-2015 02:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Made a quick phone video of how to get the brakes into Service mode

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
30-12-2015 12:45pm
mllcb42

So other than mine being an automatic(and I have tried in both park and neutral), I have tried exactly what you've shown and it will not go into service mode.
03-01-2016 08:49pm
mllcb42

Well, while searching high and low to find anything online that would resolve my car not going into brake pads service mode, I came across a land rover document on how the evoque is supposed to be transported prior to delivery. Included in this document was discussion on how to manually disengage and retract the emergency parking brake motor/piston.

By unbolting the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake motor on, you can slide the motor off. This gives you access to the back of the parking brake piston which is keyed. A properly sized torx key can be inserted and rotated to retract the piston.

Following that method, I was able to retract the piston and get the pads changed without ever having to enter into brake pads service mode.
04-01-2016 08:25am
wheels

(04-01-2016 08:25am)mllcb42 Wrote:  Well, while searching high and low to find anything online that would resolve my car not going into brake pads service mode, I came across a land rover document on how the evoque is supposed to be transported prior to delivery. Included in this document was discussion on how to manually disengage and retract the emergency parking brake motor/piston.

By unbolting the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake motor on, you can slide the motor off. This gives you access to the back of the parking brake piston which is keyed. A properly sized torx key can be inserted and rotated to retract the piston.

Following that method, I was able to retract the piston and get the pads changed without ever having to enter into brake pads service mode.

Good to know. That automatic powerbrake is bloody irritating.
Often I need to push the car back half a meter, but cant because of that automatic powerbrake.
Wish there was a way to disable the thing
04-01-2016 09:41am
PhilSkill

(04-01-2016 08:25am)mllcb42 Wrote:  By unbolting the 2 bolts that hold the parking brake motor on, you can slide the motor off. This gives you access to the back of the parking brake piston which is keyed. A properly sized torx key can be inserted and rotated to retract the piston.

Glad you got there, but perplexing why you cant get it to do it automatically.

Good to know there is another method of retracting the piston e.g. if you ever get a seized one, Whats interesting there is does the piston rotate as it retracts then using this method?

04-01-2016 11:08am
mllcb42

So the motor attached to something that spins, but the brake piston itself doesn't.
05-01-2016 08:27am
PhilSkill

Cheers mllcb, that makes sense just wanted to confirm the piston is definitely not a screw-in type as all info has been contrary to that so far.

05-01-2016 05:01pm
wheels

It seems to me that it is a screw in, you just dont have a slot on the piston behind the brakepads
You need to screw it out from behind using the torxhead
06-01-2016 06:18am
mllcb42

Wheels,
When engaging the torx head, you don't actually move the brake caliper piston.

Basically, if you try to compress the piston without spinning the torx, the piston won't budge.

Spinning the torx on the back of the caliper makes no visible difference. The piston doesn't move at all. Once you have spun it, you can compress the piston, straight back, without any spinning.
06-01-2016 06:47am