Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine won't start help!
thelastnat

RE: Engine won't start help!

(14-04-2012 10:32am)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi, Sorry to hear your having trouble with your Evoque

Batterys can become faulty at any known time a dealer should have the relevant equipment to test the condition of the battery. If the battery is ok, do you have any aftermarket fitments to the vehcile such as a tracker or any other electrical devices. It may be a case that something is draining the battery and this can also be checked by the dealer.

With ref to you jump starting the car,

Did you connect the leads straight onto the top of the battery in your evoque.
If so you may of damaged the Battery Monitoring Unit which is bulilt onto the negative battery lead. If you need to jump start the car in the future i would reccomend to put the negative lead onto the engine mounting Close the the RH headlamp area.

It may be a case that the dealer will have to reset the battery monitoring system if the car is showing the battery light even though is now recharged

Thanks

Thanks for the answer,
I usually only my iPhone connector on, I think might be the cause of the problem. But on the another thought, I leave my iPhone connector on the car all the time, the problem has never occurs to me. Like you said, it might just be a faulty battery.

About jump starting,
I did put the negative lead onto the engine mounting, but thanks for the reference.

Wink
14-04-2012 03:01pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(14-04-2012 01:59pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Donny I leave mine undriven for up to 3 months and all I do is plug in a solar powered trickle charger into the boot area socket - the really important thing is to remember to unplug it before starting the engine.
Have done this since last September with my Evoque and before that with my 2010MY FFRR without any problems. I would recommend anybody who is going to leave their Evoque at an airport long term open air carpark to spend £20 on one of Maplin's devices that has a diode protector built-in to prevent discharging the battery at night so they don't end up at 3am after a long flight home having to call out LRA so they can get into their pride and joy.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need an indoor solution, as the cars are left for long periods (weeks or even months) in the garage, and usually haven't had many long runs prior to being left. The occasional overnight charge keeps them topped up, and both keep fine when left on long-term charge. The reason I asked the question, especially after the LR Techy comments preceding, was to ensure that there was nothing special about the Evoque that would make the same policy inadvisable.
14-04-2012 04:05pm
Land Rover Techy

(14-04-2012 11:50am)Donny Dog Wrote:  OK, I will!

I have always had battery problems with my cars as I don't do many miles or long journeys. To combat this, I purchased a CTEK Multi XS 3600 which is a sophisticated trickle-charger. I hard wire the plug to the battery (negative to the chassis) and the charger then just plugs in as and when required. Prior to this, I had used a more old-fashioned charger, and it had wrecked the instruments of my Mercedes (I was told by the dealer that I should have disconnected the battery, but that in itself caused lots of reset issues). Since using the CTEK, I have successfully left my Mercedes and my wife's Toyotas on long-term charge without problems and without disconnecting the battery.

So the question is, am I safe to do exactly the same with my wife's Evoque? (Charging it as described without disconnecting the battery).

Hi,
As you have mentioned the battery charger is a smart -trickle charger. Therefore the output of the charger is relatively low 4 Amps. It also should turn off when it sees the battery voltage at given limit. This should be ok to leave on the battery as its only giving a small top up to the battery rather than trying to fully charge a flat battery.
If it was a larger output charger 16Amps upward this could potentially cause damage to the battery and other electrical components in the vehicle.

Alternatively you could disconnect the negative battery terminal from the vehicle but this means you would have to reset time date windows etc and is time consuming.

Hope i have answered your question

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
14-04-2012 07:37pm
Donny Dog

(14-04-2012 07:37pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi,
As you have mentioned the battery charger is a smart -trickle charger. Therefore the output of the charger is relatively low 4 Amps. It also should turn off when it sees the battery voltage at given limit. This should be ok to leave on the battery as its only giving a small top up to the battery rather than trying to fully charge a flat battery.
If it was a larger output charger 16Amps upward this could potentially cause damage to the battery and other electrical components in the vehicle.

Alternatively you could disconnect the negative battery terminal from the vehicle but this means you would have to reset time date windows etc and is time consuming.

Hope i have answered your question

Yes, thanks. I certainly don't want to disconnect the battery. As long as there's nothing special about Evoque electronics that makes this type of charging inadvisable, that's what I'll do.
14-04-2012 09:40pm
mark_n

There's mention in the manual that replacing the battery requires special tools. Is that just o stop owners meddling or is it true?

What does this battery monitoring unit do? If it's in the negative lead, it has to pass the full cold cranking current taken by the starter motor which could easily be a couple of hundred amps.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
15-04-2012 05:56am
smayo

The clever trickle chargers are great (used one for months at a time in the past witha gel battery), as they switch on when the charge goes down below a set level and off when charged back up, and so can be left permanently connected with the car parked up in a garage.
The only problem with these and any charger is that all lead acid batteries "gas" while on charge and eventually need topping up with ionised water.
Probably not an issue though with a large battery which is probably what is fitted on an Evoque, and I have no idea how long it might me before the battery would need a top up.

The only way around the gassing problem is to replace the lead acid battery with a gel battery, which never need topping up are smaller and lighter but are a LOT more expensive.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
15-04-2012 09:44am
thelastnat

Ok guys, it was a faulty battery from the factory. I don't know how this happened, but the dealer took the old battery and replaced the new one for me. Problem solved! Also, the dealer took my old battery and tried to recharge it but nothing happened. I am just glad that it was only the battery problem, nothing serious....
21-04-2012 07:55am