Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine question ... Td4 sd4
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Engine question ... Td4 sd4

I think it was the Car tests back in their April or May issue

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-08-2011 09:16am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alex

I have ordered the SD4 Dynamic. I drove it at the Cardiff unleash day and I really enjoyed it. While I was there I should have drove the SI4 but when asking heard very good feedback. After the event I was in two minds about my decision and I spoke to my dealer and he said that it was to later to make any changes to my order (SD4 to SI4), but he would be more than happy to take my order from me and let me order again (but car delivery would be probably Jan-Apr than this Nov).

None the less I was after a just a little more performance than what the SD4 currently offers, or experienced. On the tuneit web site (thanks Ezandania for the link) it shows the SD4 BHP at 190 but after remapping 215 (torque 310 to 340 lbs/ft).

How would I translate that into understanding how the overall performance improvement would be enhanced by? I’m also assuming any increase in performance would result in greater fuel depletion.

I have never looked into remapping a car engine before, abut after remapping how is the performance enhancement measured, is it literally test driving and afterwards and making an assessment.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
19-08-2011 07:40am
HA54SYM

I'm looking at the SD4 too, and am not too keen on its performance on paper, yet to drive it yet.

But its a compromise for me, and I have a track car for all out speed fix.

I have a Transit sport at the moment, that has been re-mapped fro 130bhp to 170bhp, to drive it is quite a difference as it has strong boost when the turbo comes in.

Thing is it as to be done correctly, as diesels can smoke badly due to too much overfueling, and that can cause injector fail etc, I guess the Landrover diesel also uses and EGR and that can get issues too.

Also Turbo's with too much boost can get issues.

That said the 190 to 215 uprate is not too much.

Be interesting to see what options are out in the field next year.

Dave[/u]
19-08-2011 08:02am
M30 EVO

From personal experience, I'd be tempted to wait for the likes of BAS (Site Sponsor) or Superchips to come up with a solution. I have tried a couple of the 'Tunit' type boxes over the years, and whilst there is a slight improvement in power / torque, there was also a significant increase in black smoke Confused.

I have had a bluefin device (from superchips) for the last 6 years now, and used it on numerous vehicles (both petrol & diesel), and to date it has never failed to please and let me down. From feedback I have seen on one of Martins sister sites, I'd be very tempted to wait for a BAS solution for the evoque, and I'm sure Pete is doing his best to get one sorted asap.

With a 'qualtiy' remap, as oppose to a plug in box, you should also notice that the vehicle is more driveable throughout the rev range, not just an initial shove of extra oomph that fizzles out.

On order: Dynamic SD4 Manual Coupe, Orkney Grey, Black Roof, Privacy Glass, Vortex Int, Ebony Headlining.

Delivery: Was 25/11/11, Currently 28/12/11..............
19-08-2011 08:19am
XFullFatTim

I have never felt the need to add a remap or try a plug in unit on any of my Land Rovers. I think the point most people miss with Land Rovers is that LR maps its engines to give a compromise between on and off-road performance that gives acceptable use in both cases. That often means that on road performance is not as good as it could be if they mapped it purely for on-road use. The only Land Drover I have owned that seriously needed a performance hike was a 1998 Disco2 TD5 Auto which was seriously poor, but LR listened and the next model year the TD5 Auto had a power hike that removed the problem. I have never found the need to change the map on either of the RRS's I have owned - yes the 2.7TDV6 could have used a bit more ooomph but it wasn't a poor performer, just adequate. The TDv8 on the other hand is fantastic in standard form in both 3.6 and 4.4ltr versions.
My advice would be to drive your Evoque for 6-9months without any remap and then consider it. Chips/remaps all claim to reduce fuel consumption however from what I can gather most people don't find any fuel savings in real life as they tend to use the extra performance instead!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-08-2011 08:43am
M30 EVO

Definitely agree with the last bit... despite claims from manufacturers, and even when I've removed the lead weight from my right foot, I've never managed to achieve an improvement in fuel economy!

On order: Dynamic SD4 Manual Coupe, Orkney Grey, Black Roof, Privacy Glass, Vortex Int, Ebony Headlining.

Delivery: Was 25/11/11, Currently 28/12/11..............
19-08-2011 08:58am
Jonathon555

I have ran remaps & tuning boxes on a variety of cars over the years.

I used a tune it box on my current Audi & it adds a bit more performance, but not a huge amount . It does not appear to add any economy

On my last e90 BMW 320d , I used a tuning box that added about 7 mpg
But that car was seriously underpowered from the factory & had 22 bhp less than it should have done.

I hope someone gets a map out soon, but if involves opening the ecu up I will have to stick with a tuning box.

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
19-08-2011 12:29pm
Ezandania

The current SD4 power/torque is of course optimum for the configurations laid out by JLR, but those who will buy the Evoque as a full on-road car, and start to fit it with 'baller mods' will want that extra bit of power/torque to drive the bigger wheels of course...remember most likely new Evoque owners are predicted to be those who are new to the marque. And if JLR is marketing it as the SUV-Coupe 'Crossover', this would mean the aftermarket tuning support will be extensive.

A properly 'reflashed' ecu is obviously better than a 'plug-n-play' box, but remember the combination of the two (and other aftermarket products) will yield much greater results. We just have to wait for the tuners to test it out. We have yet to know how well the engine behaves to mods. Those who mod their engines definitely need to understand, to gain performance you would have to trade off something else, this could be balance, traction, fuel economy etc. But hey...to each their own, right?

For me, i'd settle for the standard power for awhile, whilst observing the brave few who'd tune and upgrade immediately, and learn from them.

<rant over>

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
19-08-2011 01:00pm
Alex

Completely agree with you!

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
19-08-2011 01:04pm
XFullFatTim

If you surf over to http://www.freel2.com, Martin's Freelander2 forums you will find few Freelander2 owners with the same engines as Evoque gets have found it necessary to chip/ remap and that is a heavier, less aerodynamic car.

19-08-2011 01:38pm