Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Easy thefts...can this happen to us?
captaincrash

Easy thefts...can this happen to us?

I'm sure many of you have seen this in the news today re. keyless thefts of BMW's;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Seems like the problem has been around for a long time before making the news;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...keys&mid=0

My question is - could the same thing happen with a RRE/Any RR? Should I be looking at a method to fool a would be theif, especially as I live in brum. where apparently a lot of this going on? Perhaps something along the lines of;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...&mid=&nmt=

Thanks

Ordered; 5 Door SD4 Dynamic LUX Auto, Firenze, Verve, Shadow/7, HBA, Ebony Headline, Privacy Glass, TPMS, Adaptive Xenon's - at the dealer, collecting 1st of March!
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 05:12pm by captaincrash.)
12-09-2012 05:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Easy thefts...can this happen to us?

It was posted on here in May

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
12-09-2012 06:59pm
RacingSnake

and it's on watchdog tonight.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
12-09-2012 07:12pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

Just goes to show how forward thinking we are on here.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
12-09-2012 09:36pm
Land Rover Techy

(12-09-2012 05:11pm)captaincrash Wrote:  I'm sure many of you have seen this in the news today re. keyless thefts of BMW's;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Seems like the problem has been around for a long time before making the news;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...keys&mid=0

My question is - could the same thing happen with a RRE/Any RR? Should I be looking at a method to fool a would be theif, especially as I live in brum. where apparently a lot of this going on? Perhaps something along the lines of;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...&mid=&nmt=

Thanks

yes this could happen as you only need a laptop with the correct software on the car, also a device that will talk to the car via laptop.

I would reccomend people to talk to Tracker and Immobiliser Installation people as they may be able to provide a solution in making it more difficult for these thieves

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
12-09-2012 09:53pm
cutter7

In a few weeks time when the wheel clamping business becomes illegal, i'm sure there will be a surplus of decent clamps for sale on e-bay etc and i'm sure i could find a couple for a reasonable price.

Some of these newer clamps are very quick to fit..Idea

13-09-2012 07:54am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Would putting a clamp on prevent it from being lifted onto the back of a flatbed truck? It would make it more difficult.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 13-09-2012 09:23am by XFullFatTim.)
13-09-2012 09:22am
ChuckieB

(13-09-2012 09:22am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Would putting a clamp on prevent it from being lifted onto the back of a flatbed truck? It would make it more difficult.

Tim don't forget this is an issue about drive off theft of vehicles stolen to order.

If what LRT is indciating is true then we should be equally concerned. I put our cars in the same bracket in terms of current desirability.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
13-09-2012 09:44am
screamingdead

(12-09-2012 09:53pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  yes this could happen as you only need a laptop with the correct software on the car, also a device that will talk to the car via laptop.

I would reccomend people to talk to Tracker and Immobiliser Installation people as they may be able to provide a solution in making it more difficult for these thieves

So, is it possible or supported to get a Category 2 Immobiliser installed in addition to the factory fitted alarm / immobiliser?

Would a third party install interfere with the keyless start?

Regards

SD
14-09-2012 05:13am
Urban Splash

I think the wider issue here is specifically related to the method used to gain access to the BMW featured. They were able to break the window without setting off the alarm. Once the window was broken, they can access the port. Now this seems to be a serious flaw with how the alarms in bmws operate. As far as I know, any window break in a RR should set off the alarm.....

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
15-09-2012 07:09pm