Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Easy cure to the (powered) tailgate problems.
Bowl

Easy cure to the (powered) tailgate problems.

As some of us have made many many complaints about the powered tailgate being not very reliable, I too have had the same problem on several occasions.

I've noticed that if I stopped the tailgate midway, the closing button always works. The problem tends to occur randomly only when the tailgate is at its full height with the motors fully wound up.

So here's what I propose you try;
- open the tailgate to its maximum height and observe the speed when it is approaching its stop height
- manually pull down the tailgate just a LITTLE bit, no more than half an inch and leave it steady for a few seconds
- set the NEW target height by holding the closing button on the tailgate for 10 seconds and release. If correctly done, it will not close when you release the button
- close the tailgate using the closing button
- open the tailgate again and observe the speed when it is approaching its new preset height, which should be slower and softer than before. You will notice its deceleration.
- the tailgate will slightly overshoot the preset height by momentum, so it is possible to achieve the maximum opening height
- manually check the tailgate height by gently lifting it up. It should be at or very close to its maximum height

The idea here is to open the tailgate at (or close to) full height while having the motors stop just a hair before they reach their full locks.

I have had no tailgate problem so far having done this, but I can't say for sure that the problem has been cured. And that's why I need your input. Try it and let us know if the problem goes away.

[EDIT: After a month+ with a perfectly obedient tailgate, I think it's safe to conclude that this trick does cure the problem]

Cheers

Bowl

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 11:06pm by Bowl.)
02-04-2013 12:23am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: Possible cure to the tailgate glitch? (Participation appreciated)

As I am short I have done this anyway and I can confirm that I have not had any problems with the tailgate.
So good stuff

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
02-04-2013 09:40am
Bowl

(02-04-2013 09:40am)griff Wrote:  As I am short I have done this anyway and I can confirm that I have not had any problems with the tailgate.
So good stuff

Thanks Very Happy

I haven't had any problems since. This might actually work. Laughing

Evoque SD4 Coupé Dynamic, Fuji White, Santoriny Pano roof, Lux pack, RSE, style 8 wheels, along with everything else.
02-04-2013 05:02pm
maccacch

a software update from the dealer cured my tailgate problems
06-04-2013 03:34pm
Bowl

I think I can finally call it cured having had no problems for a month.

Anyone else tried it? Any input?

(This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 11:02pm by Bowl.)
27-04-2013 10:50pm
Bowl

RE: Easy cure to the (powered) tailgate problems.

(20-05-2013 07:10am)aarti111 Wrote:  Without a dead bolt on your tailgate, your valuables are always vulnerable to sticky ... I was concerned about a power lock and install vs simple keyed.

The tailgate locks when your car is locked with the key fob. The locking mechanism is similar, if not better, to the traditional key locks, but ours are electronically executed.

20-05-2013 07:51am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Easy cure to the (powered) tailgate problems.

Aarti111 has been banned for spamming links in his signature

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-05-2013 08:18am