Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ECO Stop/Start - is something going to wear out?
dusty_bin

ECO Stop/Start - is something going to wear out?

Having had my vehicle for a few weeks now, I still find it quite disconcerting having the engine stop and restart all the time. I suppose it just custom and the fact that I wouldn't/don't do it manually on other cars I have without this feature - could it just be the feeling that something is going to wear out...

Can you alleviate any concerns in using ECO mode all the time? I realise I could turn it off if it really starts getting to me...

Thanks

Orkney Grey Pure manual SD4 with spare wheel, front fogs, folding mirrors, and panny roof
Order placed 2nd November 2011, vehicle arrived on 31st March 2012
02-05-2012 06:04pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: ECO Stop/Start - is something going to wear out?

Plenty of other manufacturers have Stop/Start technology fitted to their cars (and have had them for a lot longer than LR and on higher volumes selling cars) and so far there don't appear to have been any reports that the bits wear out due to overuse.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-05-2012 06:07pm
rchrdleigh

Will start saving fuel if you stop for longer than 3 seconds.

Vehicles fitted with stop/start have upgraded starter motors, batteries and (I think) alternators to allow for the extra loads placed on them by the stop/start function.
02-05-2012 08:41pm
PhilSkill

(02-05-2012 06:04pm)dusty_bin Wrote:  Having had my vehicle for a few weeks now, I still find it quite disconcerting having the engine stop and restart all the time. I suppose it just custom and the fact that I wouldn't/don't do it manually on other cars I have without this feature - could it just be the feeling that something is going to wear out...

Can you alleviate any concerns in using ECO mode all the time? I realise I could turn it off if it really starts getting to me...

Thanks

Start/stop is not the same as switching your ignition off and on again manually. Much less strain on the engine and starter motor as the engine ignition is synchronized and ready to fire immediately, rather than having to be cranked a whole turn before firing injectors. Obviously it's not without some impact but starter motors are much better now.

I'm used to it now and rather like it, sometimes it doesn't cut out and then I think... using fuel... using fuel...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-05-2012 09:17pm
xxxx5

My last company car was a BMW with stop/start, did 100k in 2.5 years and never failed once.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
02-05-2012 09:26pm
FujiSan

I work for Bosch and can confirm that the start-stop components are all re-engineered specifically for that purpose. An SS alternator, starter and many other components are simply not the same as in a car that is standard. Also the logic controls ensure that unless the conditions are optimum, start-stop wont kick in anyway.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
02-05-2012 10:54pm
dusty_bin

Thanks everyone - it seems clear I need to stop worrying and will get used to it eventually Wink

Orkney Grey Pure manual SD4 with spare wheel, front fogs, folding mirrors, and panny roof
Order placed 2nd November 2011, vehicle arrived on 31st March 2012
03-05-2012 12:46pm
miha.m

I passionately hate this feature ! Unless driving in really heavy "traffic jam" conditions, fuel savings are negligible,... compared to the cost of over-strained components (starter motor, etc.,...) I am turing it OFF immediately after starting the engine,.. however this is one completely unneccessary procedure in such a classy car, so if somebody knows how to make it "off" by default, I would be gratefull !

Otherways - made my first 700km - extremely satisfied - consumption 8,3 l/100km - 35 mpg (imperial) - very good for mostly suburban driving,...

BR : Miha

Evoque TD4 Prestige (Barolo black, Couture interior)
MINI Cooper S "John Cooper Works" tuning (2004)
Harley Davidson Rocker C - FXCW/C (2009)
29-05-2012 07:38pm
FujiSan

I can only refer you to my earlier post, that the components are not over stressed, they are purposely designed for the increased duty cycles that stop/start imposes.

But please feel free to continue turning it off if you like.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
29-05-2012 08:22pm
miha.m

well,... we will see. Diesel engines are working at high temperatures (high compression ratio) and "like" to work at constant rpm/conditions, where they produce the best efficiency. "eco start/stop" is introduced mainly to satisfy eco-fanatics induced of completely artificial "official" "consumption cycle", where all of the companies are playing the "games" of achieving 50, 60 mpg (imperial), which we all know are completely unrealistic in real world !
Like all "green related" eco-bubble - we have to take it with considerable "reserve" !

BR : Miha

Evoque TD4 Prestige (Barolo black, Couture interior)
MINI Cooper S "John Cooper Works" tuning (2004)
Harley Davidson Rocker C - FXCW/C (2009)
29-05-2012 08:32pm