Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Double chime on engine start
Rein

Double chime on engine start

When I start the car, sometimes (not everytime) , I hear the chime sound 2 times. But there is no error on the display or screen.
Does anybody know what this is?
I have a 2011 model, auto gearbox, have seatbelts on when I start, door closed etc. Can't figure out what the pattern is for the sometimes appearing double chime.

Blacked-out Evoque Cool

Santorini black, 5dr, dynamic, SD4 auto
Mods: My Evoque Topic
10-12-2015 10:48pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Steve D

RE: Double chime on engine start

Frost or black ice warning maybe? I think that happens when the outside temperature is at 2° and 4°.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
11-12-2015 08:20am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mighTTy-RRE

Mine does this occasionally when first starting after an overnight and the temperature is low and I believe it is the car telling me off for starting the car before the glow plugs have finished, (which is strange as this is automatically controlled, unlike on other cars where you turn the key wait for the glow plug lamp to go out then again to start the engine)
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 01:13pm by mighTTy-RRE.)
11-12-2015 01:12pm
bee

I recon steve is right. chimes below 4 degrees. must bee cold over there.Sad

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 05:24pm by bee.)
11-12-2015 05:23pm
Rein

Thanks for the replies, but the car also does this during summer time. It does only seem to happen at the first start of the engine of the day. Banging Head

Blacked-out Evoque Cool

Santorini black, 5dr, dynamic, SD4 auto
Mods: My Evoque Topic
11-12-2015 08:06pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I'm sure I've heard this on my MY2011 too, not always and doesn't bother me, but you find yourself thinking what are you chiming for!? No warning, no doors open seat belts on, yet it still chimes sometimes.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
11-12-2015 11:25pm
Steve D

Mine did it again today so I called LRA out - the keyless system packed up completely a few weeks ago and was reset by a LRA tech who just pulled a fuse and refitted it.

Tech tested it out, high voltages on all door locks so he set about performing a 2 minute update which could only get to 1:46 seconds before stopping and going no further. He had to get on to star fleet command and give them some codes etc. Apparently it is the KVM (Keyless vehicle module) and the KVM fitted to my car is no longer supported (which is why he couldn't perform update) and needs replacing. According to the tech, the KVM is an old type and has been superseded by a new, more secure version.

Oh, and whilst trying to carry out the update it packed up completely and I am having to use the key blade to lock/unlock and the emergency fob procedure to start it up.

Booked into a main dealers tomorrow. Luckily it's covered by the used warranty which is just as well - the tech reckons they could have it for a week so not just a plug and play thing apparently.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2016 08:23pm by Steve D.)
07-01-2016 08:22pm
PhilSkill

Good luck getting it sorted, sounds an odd fault, don't think that's an issue with mine, well not after 4 year driving it... annoying to get a Bong with no message.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-01-2016 10:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

IIRC apart from the black ice bongs it could also be low screen/ headlight washer fluid

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-01-2016 09:53am
Donny Dog

(08-01-2016 09:53am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  IIRC apart from the black ice bongs it could also be low screen/ headlight washer fluid

My 2012 SD4 does it in any weather conditions and with, for example, a full screen wash. Like others on here report, it's always the first start of the day. It's always puzzled me!
08-01-2016 11:25am