Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Don't damage any tyres
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Don't damage any tyres

The Craptinentals 20" tyres are not that easy to find. I found today that I have to scrap one of my 20's that has only covered 3800 miles as it has 2 very fine but very deep concentric slashes on the INNER sidewall (i.e. the bit of tyre on the inside of the wheel arch. This tyre came off the front nearside wheel (I marked them when I took them off in case the TPMS was coded to a certain wheel/tyre). Good job I have two sets of wheels and tyres for the car as when I took the wheel to my usual tyre guys for inspection their MOT guy looked at it and immediately declared it a write-off, too dangerous to run on as when he put his screwdriver into one of the scores it opened up right down to the steel belting! Also he noticed that I had one block of tread missing.
Problem is there isn't much stock of Craptinental 245/45V20 tyres in the country.................... thank goodness I wasn't stuck at the other end of the UK with no spare and 4 days earliest delivery from the Continental Warehouse. I will be running on the winter 19's for a few days more until the new tyre comes in! Also the cost is wallet numbing £271 before my usual discount. I'm glad I don't have the Michelin Latitude equivalent as they would have been more than £300 a piece although they are available "next day". No Pirelli equivalent ws available at less than 7 days lead in time either. I've ordered two tyres, one to put on the car and the other I will keep as an "insurance" policy that hopefully I won't need to use. First claim coming on my wheel and tyre insurance I think, thats the premium covered in the first claim! Another 4 claims left over the next 4 years too, and 10 wheel refurbs remaining

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-03-2012 05:34pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-03-2012 05:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OGD+

RE: Don't damage any tyres

(27-03-2012 05:32pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The Craptinentals 20" tyres are not that easy to find. I found today that I have to scrap one of my 20's that has only covered 3800 miles as it has 2 very fine but very deep concentric slashes on the INNER sidewall (i.e. the bit of tyre on the inside of the wheel arch. This tyre came off the front nearside wheel (I marked them when I took them off in case the TPMS was coded to a certain wheel/tyre). Good job I have two sets of wheels and tyres for the car as when I took the wheel to my usual tyre guys for inspection their MOT guy looked at it and immediately declared it a write-off, too dangerous to run on as when he put his screwdriver into one of the scores it opened up right down to the steel belting! Also he noticed that I had one block of tread missing.
Problem is there isn't much stock of Craptinental 245/45V20 tyres in the country.................... thank goodness I wasn't stuck at the other end of the UK with no spare and 4 days earliest delivery from the Continental Warehouse. I will be running on the winter 19's for a few days more until the new tyre comes in! Also the cost is wallet numbing £271 before my usual discount. I'm glad I don't have the Michelin Latitude equivalent as they would have been more than £300 a piece although they are available "next day". No Pirelli equivalent ws available at less than 7 days lead in time either. I've ordered two tyres, one to put on the car and the other I will keep as an "insurance" policy that hopefully I won't need to use. First claim coming on my wheel and tyre insurance I think, thats the premium covered in the first claim! Another 4 claims left over the next 4 years too, and 10 wheel refurbs remaining

Hi Tim,

Which wheel and tyre insurance do you use? I have never tried it but sounds very useful...
27-03-2012 05:45pm
XFullFatTim

Hi OGD+, welcome to the forums

Mine was Dealership offered (Lookers Park Royal) , it is from Premia Solutions, underwritten by Alpha Insurance A/S (a Danish Company!).
We have a forum sponsor and member KAM100 who also offers policies as well

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 27-03-2012 06:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-03-2012 06:19pm
Rossy100

Don't damage any tyres

If you don't mind me asking..... How much was it?
27-03-2012 06:21pm
XFullFatTim

Rossy you have a PM

27-03-2012 06:36pm
Daigriff

I actually took the alloy wheel insurance as I've kerbed that many that I thought it'd be worth having.
Have just put my first claim in as I kerbed front alloy whist parking couple of weeks ago.
Claiming was a little more of a pain than I thought it would be...photos needed copy invoices for car purchase and claim form.

Will let you know if it all concludes satisfactorily.

Tim let me know how you get on.

Dai

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
27-03-2012 08:45pm
PhilSkill

Tim, Any idea how you damaged the tyre?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-03-2012 09:51pm
XFullFatTim

Phil - None at all, the tyres and wheels have been sat in my garage since early February, and I am surprised that I didn't notice the damage when they were taken off the car. Since then they have been stacked two high on double thickness
bigger than wheel sized carpet offcuts and had the same between the wheels, they were then covered with an old blanket. The only thing I can think off is that I have run over something like the edge of one of those heavy steel sheets that is sometime laid on the road to cover a large hole that has been dug, especially as the cuts are almost concentric. But, how didn't the nearside rear not get slashed as well?

Daigriff - I'll let you know - I checked the policy docs tonight and I have to phone the insurer tomorrow to take it further.

What really concerns me the lead in time for a new tyre! The tyre guys could have got me a Michelin latitude but didn't recommend having different tread patterns on the same axle of a 4WD vehicle in case there is damage to the transmission and I wasn't going to buy 4 Michelins for £1480!

(This post was last modified: 27-03-2012 10:33pm by XFullFatTim.)
27-03-2012 10:30pm
PhilSkill

Very odd Tim, Better give my summer set a good look over before changing them, they are Craptinentals as you put it, from same place you bought yours (wasnt the delivery van that damaged them was it? I picked mine up in person)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-03-2012 11:14pm
XFullFatTim

The summer tyres on mine are the OEM Style 6's with the Conti's on, as it came from the factory, it was my winter wheels that came from Farnells and those tyres came from the tyre place I took the knackered one to today - I'm still trying to sell on the 19" tyres that came on the 19" Style 3's

27-03-2012 11:21pm