Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon
mildfeverz

RE: Swapping Halogen units to BiXenon

Hello Enthusiasts:
I am attemptiing to do the same project. I have ordered a new set of Xenon/LED headlight pair and will retrofit an aftermarket Xenon 12k 55w kit w/ballasts to by pass any sensor problem. I will direct plug-in[to the New Xenons] to see if the DRL's will work as designed. If not, I will need to wire the LED DRL's directly to a manual switch powered with ignition on as I've done this on my Porsche. I will be removing the OEM ballasts to sell online. I already tested an aftermarket canbus 12k 55w Xenons on my Evoque Pure Halogen Housings and they work perfectly with the direct 9005 headlight plug on the vehicle. I am awaiting delivery of the Xenon assemblies and will bench "wire/test" my application before installation. If removal of the factory Xenon bulb indicates any one other than a 9005 bulb, I will purchase the correct one to direct fit the aftermarket xenon ballast set wiring. I intend on mounting the aftermarket ballasts to the same location as the existing space allotted on the OEM Xenon housing.
Note: I have installed Xenon headlight conversions on Porsches, Mercedes, and an old P38 Range Rover and had never come across a problem of sensor or other difficulty.
If anyone out there has any thoughts or input?? on this retrofit, I would appreciate some ideas or warnings to be aware of. I am not worried of my factory warranty being voided in this procedure as I can revert back to Halogen if necessary. Thanks in advance for any tips for success!!
MfeverzMr. GreenIdeaMr. Green
(This post was last modified: 18-08-2012 05:08am by mildfeverz.)
18-08-2012 12:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
funguf

(18-08-2012 12:35am)mildfeverz Wrote:  Hello Enthusiasts:
I am attemptiing to do the same project. I have ordered a new set of Xenon/LED headlight pair and will retrofit an aftermarket Xenon 12k 55w kit w/ballasts to by pass any sensor problem. I will direct plug-in[to the New Xenons] to see if the DRL's will work as designed. If not, I will need to wire the LED DRL's directly to a manual switch powered with ignition on as I've done this on my Porsche. I will be removing the OEM ballasts to sell online. I already tested an aftermarket canbus 12k 55w Xenons on my Evoque Pure Halogen Housings and they work perfectly with the direct 9005 headlight plug on the vehicle. I am awaiting delivery of the Xenon assemblies and will bench "wire/test" my application before installation. If removal of the factory Xenon bulb indicates any one other than a 9005 bulb, I will purchase the correct one to direct fit the aftermarket xenon ballast set wiring. I intend on mounting the aftermarket ballasts to the same location as the existing space allotted on the OEM Xenon housing.
Note: I have installed Xenon headlight conversions on Porsches, Mercedes, and an old P38 Range Rover and had never come across a problem of sensor or other difficulty.
If anyone out there has any thoughts or input?? on this retrofit, I would appreciate some ideas or warnings to be aware of. I am not worried of my factory warranty being voided in this procedure as I can revert back to Halogen if necessary. Thanks in advance for any tips for success!!
MfeverzMr. GreenIdeaMr. Green

Hey There,

Did you ever complete this work?

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
28-08-2013 09:44pm
funguf

(07-08-2012 07:14pm)Marconi2 Wrote:  Hi all

one comment Dont try to change headlights to bi xenon on a pure

I have just gone through the process with my dealer on my "yet to be delivered Pure tech" they changed the light units and I had been told it was just a matter of flashing the module to tell it they were now Bi-Xenon.
WRONG !!
1 there is no module it would have to be fitted
2 there are also level sensors needed at each suspension for the auto leveling
3 even worse as dealer was going to fit the missing bits if only there had been any wiring in the loom to do it sorry these days are not like the old Allegro. they searched my car for tucked away connections but to no avail
4 if you ordered the Tech pach with your pure you get the headlamp wash anyway so that would cover the legal requirement
so I am back to Halogens all I wanted was the signature led DRL's which no one told me i would not get with the halogen units I would have speced at order if i had been told.

So if anyone out there can tell me that the wiring is there then let me know quick so i can get my lights done, but i think you will find that it is missing from the main body loom unless you order from scratch.

SD4 Pure Tech auto 5dr Firenze red, Almond leather , espresso trim Privacy glass , pano roof, reverse cam, front fogs, seat upgrade memory, fold mirrors, auto dip int mirror,removable tow bar ( collecting 8/8/12 )Very HappyVery Happy ordered 14/3/12 )

Headlamp leveling is controlled by a Headlamp Leveling Control Module (HLCM). The HLCM is a dual function control module which can process and control the headlamp leveling.

The headlamp leveling system comprises the following components and information from other vehicle systems:

• Front and rear vehicle height sensors
• Two headlamp leveling, vertical adjustment motors
• HLCM
• Ignition in power mode 6 or above.

I had a look on the factory print for my my pure tech and it says that the following is installed: -

BBUS with Tilt Sensor

Anyone know what this is?

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
01-09-2013 02:38am
funguf

bump!

14-01-2014 07:13pm
cjfp

Battery backup sounder, thus probably something to do with the alarm

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 14-01-2014 07:29pm by cjfp.)
14-01-2014 07:29pm