Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disks
wavey.dave

Disks

Car went in for warranty work today, and they did a check at the same time, it has come back with -

two front tyres are amber at 3.1mm
front brake pads N/S 5mm O/S 5mm
rear brake pads N/S 3mm O/S 3mm

The rears have a note that says "rear pads are recommended for change and both rear brake discs have slight rim". They have said the rear disks are recommended for change. I've only done 21k miles, should I expect to change the disks at this early stage (first set of pads).

Thanks

Dave

[Image: 143277.png]
09-09-2014 04:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Disks

Sounds like you have a good few 1000 kms left before you need to do anything, depends how close you like to run it before needing things doing, and how important your car is to you to be on the road rather than trying to find a garage that can do it.

Depending what "Slight Rim" means, but you can usually get 2 sets of pads to a disc, often you end up changing rear discs for corrosion before wear, but the Evoque seems a bit harder on it's rear brakes than some.

I would ask what the official minimum thickness of the discs is and what the thickness of your discs currently are compared to the original thickness before getting them to change them. If they're not under 50% you can just get the pads changed.

I believe the Evoque Rear Discs are 11mm thick when new and have a 9mm thick minimum. so 10mm or greater leave them alone.

Trouble is this is an easy money job for dealers and garages. Changing the Discs is simple once you've got the caliper removed to change the pads, so they love doing it... kerching!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-09-2014 05:04pm
JimWooly

When moving away after being parked, do you manually release the electronic hand brake or do you let the car release them automatically?

I think that if you allow the car to release the brakes automatically this will accelerate the wear to the rear disks and pads.

[Image: 298252.png]
09-09-2014 09:40pm
PhilSkill

Agreed Jim, I always release the EPB manually before pulling off unless doing a hill start, (helps me to remember it in my manual handbrake cars too!)

I think the wear may also be increased by the Stability control systems

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-09-2014 09:06am
wavey.dave

I do not release the brake manually, so perhaps I'll have to start doing it.

I am however concerned that the disks could wear out so quickly!

[Image: 143277.png]
10-09-2014 10:05am
HeartbreakRidge

(09-09-2014 09:40pm)JimWooly Wrote:  I think that if you allow the car to release the brakes automatically this will accelerate the wear to the rear disks and pads.

Perhaps this is related to the recent warranty software update that was done when I had to have a tire replaced - tech said it had to do with EPB performance/activation.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
10-09-2014 06:37pm
fam1x

(09-09-2014 09:40pm)JimWooly Wrote:  When moving away after being parked, do you manually release the electronic hand brake or do you let the car release them automatically?

I think that if you allow the car to release the brakes automatically this will accelerate the wear to the rear disks and pads.

How do you manually release the electronic brake? I thought it was only done automatically. As I have never done that, then I have had my front and read pads changed once already. I have done 20'000 miles from since I've had the car now 2 and half years.

I must admit I've not checked the Disks, next service is in Jan 2015 Smile

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
11-09-2014 03:33pm
HeartbreakRidge

(11-09-2014 03:33pm)fam1x Wrote:  How do you manually release the electronic brake? I thought it was only done automatically. As I have never done that, then I have had my front and read pads changed once already. I have done 20'000 miles from since I've had the car now 2 and half years.

Push in to apply, pull back to release on the switch IIRC.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
11-09-2014 04:27pm