Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Discovery 4 help!
Craig_d1

Discovery 4 help!

I know this is an Evoque forum and so I apologise about this, but there are quite a few of you that have Discovery's also and wanted to ask a question.
My wife took in our D4 for it's service today(2nd service just over £600 so quite lumpy IMO). I say our, but it's really my wife's car. I have to say that in case she tries to steal the Evoque later when it arrives.
Prob is, someone had gone under the car with bolt cutters and cut through the spare wheel clamp, and nicked the spare wheel. When we bought the car we specified full size spare with alloy, so having a brand new tyre and ally taken is a tad upsetting. We only realised when the service dept. phoned to tell us.
What I wanted to know is if this is a common occurrence with disco's where the spare tyre is held under the car but on the outside, rather than under the rear boot floor in most cars.
I'm going to have to replace it of course but to get a new clamp is £140, no idea yet on cost of new alloy and wheel, but if this is something that happends often, thinking of just getting some of that foam stuff that'll get me to a garage or home, and keeping the spare safely locked up in my garage.
So, anyone heard of this happening before at all?
Secondly, we've always had squeaky brakes. We complained about it soon after taking delivery, and when we had the rear camera swapped after a few months under warranty when it stopped working. We complained after it's first service too, but during this one when we complained they agreed, but said it's not covered under warranty. They said they could take the wheels off and lubricate something or other, but that they 'd charge £120 for it, even though that may not solve the problem. Anyone had this problem also.

Sorry once again for asking a non evoque question, but not a member of any other forum, and thought there seems to be a wealth of Land Rover knowledge here so wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the above.

Thxs

Craig
09-02-2012 12:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vinda

RE: Discovery 4 help!

The same thing happened to our Lexus rx300. Some b*****d nicked the wheel. And we discovered way later. Reckon it happened at the airport carpark. Cost us bucks to repair.
09-02-2012 01:11am
ChuckieB

Wheels get whipped from cradles all the time. It's not until you have it happen to you do you realise how common a problem it is! On my Peugeot 306 GTi they didn't even snip the cage, they just levered the retaining hook!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
09-02-2012 01:11am
Craig_d1

(09-02-2012 01:11am)vinda Wrote:  The same thing happened to our Lexus rx300. Some b*****d nicked the wheel. And we discovered way later. Reckon it happened at the airport carpark. Cost us bucks to repair.

Funny your should mention that, just took my wife to new york for her ##th birthday(never polite to ask a lady her age) and we left car in business parking at heathrow airport ( there were 2 Evoques there too, first time I'd seen any in my area). Hoping it was somewhere like that, don't like the idea someone's been in our driveway at night snd done it. We don't have gates or anything so all open at the front. My wife now wants to get gates put up which is costly.
All in all been a v expensive day and a bit p**sed off with it all. I hate thieves
09-02-2012 01:19am
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

http://www.disco4.com Whistle
09-02-2012 02:02am
GibEvoque

Squeeky brakes is a common problem for all manufacturers these days, and is actually as a result of the removal of asbestos from the manufacture of brake pads. Unfortunately there is not an easy solution, they can use some copper grease but the effects do not last (this sounds like what you were offered), so unfortunately you may just have to accept it untill new brake pad time, and hopefully you get a set which are not as noisy.

Unfortunately i cannot remember which pad manufacturers were better for this.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
09-02-2012 09:35am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RRS also suffers from stolen spare wheels and one member of Disco3.co.uk manufactures a special spare wheel antitheft device that also fits RRS

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 09:38am by XFullFatTim.)
09-02-2012 09:36am
Craig_d1

thxs for help. Memer of disco4 now too. I see Martin you look after them all(disco3 as well) Smile Just bought set of alloy of ebay for less than a new one
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 11:28am by Craig_d1.)
09-02-2012 11:27am
Claud

Craig

Not sure it helps bu my FFRR had squeaky brakes too, I just lived with it.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
09-02-2012 10:04pm