Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DMS automotive SD4 with 240bhp
QueJumper

DMS automotive SD4 with 240bhp

Spotted an engine upgrade mod today from DMS quoting 240bhp. Didn't say what the mod was but suspect more than a simple ecu remap to get that uplift from the standard 190.

Definitely needs more. Getting fed up with how slow it is! The Dynamic chassis setup can take lots more not sure about the brakes though!

Anybody had the DMS mod done or have more info?

Now Sold - Small, clean, fun car mainly for me - Sd4 Dynamic Lux - White/Black roof

Still going strong - Big, dirty, fun car mainly for the wife, kids and dog - Disco 4 - Blue (with lots of mud outside, sweets & litter inside)
19-08-2012 09:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LonnyGer

RE: DMS automotive SD4 with 240bhp

(19-08-2012 09:29pm)QueJumper Wrote:  Spotted an engine upgrade mod today from DMS quoting 240bhp. Didn't say what the mod was but suspect more than a simple ecu remap to get that uplift from the standard 190.

Definitely needs more. Getting fed up with how slow it is! The Dynamic chassis setup can take lots more not sure about the brakes though!

Anybody had the DMS mod done or have more info?

Are the Si4 brakes similar to the SD4 brakes? If so there should be no problem.Wink

Ordered: 04.07.12
Build Date: 30.10.12
Day of collection: 28.11.12 ( the wait is almost overVery Happy)

Car Spec: 5d,OG,dynamic,Black Roof, fully loaded
19-08-2012 09:53pm
smayo

The plug in tuning boxes quote almost 240bhp (certainly in excess of 230bhp) so should be acheivable with a proper remap, and not much more.
Also don't think the brakes have anything to do with it either unless you are trying to brake at the same time as putting the power down.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
19-08-2012 10:27pm
BeemerBoy

it is likely just a remap - can get anywhere between an extra 40-60hp out of most turbo diesels.

I dropped an email to my preferred tuner the other day who said these cars can't be mapped via the OBD so i'm guessing this is a ecu removal job... nothing wrong with that though.

Brakes wise - should be fine.

SD4 - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Coupe Lux: ebony leather, style 8, black panoramic roof, satin brushed and gloss black interior, aeroflip, adaptive xenons
19-08-2012 10:28pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I suggest you contact Pete Bell of BAS who are forum sponsors - he developed a remap especially for his Evoque and at least one member here has had it done to his car and I know was very pleased with the BAS map

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-08-2012 10:35pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-08-2012 10:33pm
LonnyGer

The brakes are in fact very important, if you are trying to reduce speed massively, there is a reason my john cooper works has other brakes than the cooper s, and the jcw has only 27 hp more than the cooper s.

The sd4 is heavier than the si4 I guess so this will be another point even if brakes are the same.

There could be a problem if you try reducing top speed for example on a German motorway, the car will obviously need more time to stop.

20-08-2012 08:31am
speary

I think in general that it is taken as read that if you "chip" your car for more power then you will drive it harder and therefore work the brakes harder. Obviously this is not always the case

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
20-08-2012 08:34am
smayo

(20-08-2012 08:31am)LonnyGer Wrote:  The brakes are in fact very important, if you are trying to reduce speed massively, there is a reason my john cooper works has other brakes than the cooper s, and the jcw has only 27 hp more than the cooper s.

The sd4 is heavier than the si4 I guess so this will be another point even if brakes are the same.

There could be a problem if you try reducing top speed for example on a German motorway, the car will obviously need more time to stop.

LonnyGer,
Sorry but I've got to disagree.
There are 2 issues here.
1. Do you just want more performance and to accelerate quicker.
2. Do you also want to stop quicker.
Nothing stopping you from accelerating harder but still braking from the same top speeds over the same distances using the standard brakes. It's all about the driving characteristics you are after.

If you want all round more aggressive driving then upgrade power and brakes to allow faster acceleration and deceleration, but if like me you just want a bit more responsiveness (i.e. faster off the line) then there is no problem just upgrading the power.

You can upgarde 1 or the other or both, you don't 'have to' upgrade both.

Ordered 17/2/12 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5dr, Mauritius Blue, Pan roof, 20" style 6 (gloss black), Vortex, Ebony Headlining, Ent Pack, Heated St. Wheel, Homelink, Pr Glass, Auto Dim r.view mirror, spare wheel
20-08-2012 10:47am
LonnyGer

(20-08-2012 10:47am)smayo Wrote:  LonnyGer,
Sorry but I've got to disagree.
There are 2 issues here.
1. Do you just want more performance and to accelerate quicker.
2. Do you also want to stop quicker.
Nothing stopping you from accelerating harder but still braking from the same top speeds over the same distances using the standard brakes. It's all about the driving characteristics you are after.

If you want all round more aggressive driving then upgrade power and brakes to allow faster acceleration and deceleration, but if like me you just want a bit more responsiveness (i.e. faster off the line) then there is no problem just upgrading the power.

You can upgarde 1 or the other or both, you don't 'have to' upgrade both.

Hmm I got your point, but if you are going for max speed, you will get a higher end speed by tuning the engine.

This higher end speed will result in the fact, that you will need more time to decelarate the car, much more time than the Si4 will need for decelaration, because the weight is higher.

The question is, are the brakes of the sd 4 designed to decelerate quick enough from top speed about 230km/h.

If you push the car to a speed where the 190HP SD4 normaly can't go, you have to ask yourself are the brakes strong enough to decelarate fast enough if for example you get to the end of a traffic jam.

(This post was last modified: 20-08-2012 12:58pm by LonnyGer.)
20-08-2012 12:56pm
ED209

A remap will not give a higher top speed unless it raises the rev limiter.

Most rempas do not do this.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
20-08-2012 01:15pm