Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cutting off when parked ?
Alflavor

Anyone had this? My 2014 Pure Tech is doing this once or twice a week. I arrive at my destination to park up, foot on the brake, car goes into P, handbrake on, and engine cuts off - as though I had pressed start/stop but without actually doing so? Happened quite a few times now and I have been witnessed doing this so its not me pressing the button without realising!
21-09-2014 09:33am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Cutting off when parked ?

The default setting for start/stop is on, you have to physically switch it off - mine is the same although it isn't consistent as it sometimes surprises me by not shutting down when I park up! Twice I have got out of the car in a carpark and the engine is still running!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
21-09-2014 10:21am
Stadt Panzer

If you stop and put the car in park and release the foot brake the car will keep running or the start/stop will turn the engine off but if you release your seat belt the car will shut down.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
21-09-2014 09:05pm
Alflavor

Ah thanks I think that is what is happening then. Cheers both
22-09-2014 12:29pm
seahull

Same Problems Here

My 2014 gives me different experiences with shutting down all of the time. Sometimes:
1) Stop car, foot on brake (engine typically stops), press Start/Stop and selector moves to P and drops and car shuts down
or
2) Stop car, foot on brake (engine stops), I move selector to Park, I press Start/Stop and car shuts down
or
3) Stop car, foot on brake (engine stops), I move selector to Park , car turns itself off and selector drops
or
4) Stop car, foot on brake, engine shuts down, car turns itself off and selector drops (WTF????)

The difference between 2) and 3) may have to do with timing. If I wait long enough in Park, will it always shut down? I do not know.

When 3) happens, I am usually caught off-guard and I do not see that the car has shut itself off and I then press the Start/Stop button, thus starting the car back up. And sometimes I leave the car before noticing that it is running again.

But 4) is the real scary one. This has happened to me twice in the 4 months I have owned it, while stopped at a light. I stop with my foot on brakes and the engine stops as I expect with ECO mode. But when I lift my foot off the accelerator, the engine does not start and I only then see that the car has shut down by itself in the meantime. Takes several seconds with cars behind honking to get it back into Drive (brakes back on, press Start/Stop, wait for selector, move to D, release brake, press accelerator).
28-10-2014 08:32pm
XFullFatTim

sounds like you need to get it into a dealers service bay to get it looked at - i have another variation on mine - which is a diesel............... undo the driver's seatbelt with the stop start in action and sometimes it stops the engine and sometimes it leaves it running! i have to check the rev counter before i get out!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 28-10-2014 08:50pm by XFullFatTim.)
28-10-2014 08:49pm
DVFlyer

(28-10-2014 08:32pm)seahull Wrote:  My 2014 gives me different experiences with shutting down all of the time. Sometimes:
1) Stop car, foot on brake (engine typically stops), press Start/Stop and selector moves to P and drops and car shuts down
or
2) Stop car, foot on brake (engine stops), I move selector to Park, I press Start/Stop and car shuts down
or
3) Stop car, foot on brake (engine stops), I move selector to Park , car turns itself off and selector drops
or
4) Stop car, foot on brake, engine shuts down, car turns itself off and selector drops (WTF????)

The difference between 2) and 3) may have to do with timing. If I wait long enough in Park, will it always shut down? I do not know.

When 3) happens, I am usually caught off-guard and I do not see that the car has shut itself off and I then press the Start/Stop button, thus starting the car back up. And sometimes I leave the car before noticing that it is running again.

But 4) is the real scary one. This has happened to me twice in the 4 months I have owned it, while stopped at a light. I stop with my foot on brakes and the engine stops as I expect with ECO mode. But when I lift my foot off the accelerator, the engine does not start and I only then see that the car has shut down by itself in the meantime. Takes several seconds with cars behind honking to get it back into Drive (brakes back on, press Start/Stop, wait for selector, move to D, release brake, press accelerator).

1- The selector moves on it's own?
2- Normal if in ECO mode, right?
3- Is there a timer that shuts the car off if it sits long enough- e.g. sitting in the garage listening to the radio after coming home.

How do you leave the car with the engine running?

4- That's a dealer issue for sure. (Assuming you meant "brake" instead of accelerator and "get it back into Park" instead of Drive.

2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium. Black roof, black wheels, black interior.
29-10-2014 01:11am
XFullFatTim

Leaving the car in the garage with the engine running? Are you so depressed by Evoque ownership that you want to gas yourself? To leave the car with the engine running out in the fresh air all you need do is press the Eco button after starting up, that inhibits the stop/start, making sure it is in P or N with the EPB on too of course. In fact you don't even need to inhibit the Stop/start just put the car in P or N - I do this most days when I shuffle cars on my drive

(This post was last modified: 29-10-2014 09:38am by XFullFatTim.)
29-10-2014 09:33am