Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Customs Charges
Big Dave

Customs Charges

After waiting ages for some parts from the US (not RRE related), I've finally received a letter from Parcel Farce requesting the duty & VAT prior to delivery.

Although I am aware of the chance this could happen I've never had it before and I suppose I should feel lucky that I haven't. Anyway, my problem is that I spent $70 on parts and $39 on shipping and the customs charges are £147.39

I've spoken to Parcel Farce and looked on the HMRC website. In a nutshell I have to pay the bill to get the item, then fill in a claim and provide proof that the goods are not worth the sums that the charges have been calculated on. However, if the seller has inflated the value on the postage ticket then the charges will stand.

I'm in a corner as I really need the items and don't really have an alternative but what are my options?
Has anyone experienced this before?

2.0 Si4 Dynamic 5Dr Auto, Fuji White, Lux Pack, Dynamic Plus Pack, 20" Chrome Shadow Alloys, etc etc etc
16-10-2012 12:09pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NightFox

RE: Customs Charges

(16-10-2012 12:09pm)Big Dave Wrote:  After waiting ages for some parts from the US (not RRE related), I've finally received a letter from Parcel Farce requesting the duty & VAT prior to delivery.

Although I am aware of the chance this could happen I've never had it before and I suppose I should feel lucky that I haven't. Anyway, my problem is that I spent $70 on parts and $39 on shipping and the customs charges are £147.39

I've spoken to Parcel Farce and looked on the HMRC website. In a nutshell I have to pay the bill to get the item, then fill in a claim and provide proof that the goods are not worth the sums that the charges have been calculated on. However, if the seller has inflated the value on the postage ticket then the charges will stand.

I'm in a corner as I really need the items and don't really have an alternative but what are my options?
Has anyone experienced this before?

I'm afraid that in my experience it's pretty much as you've described. Parcel Force are just acting as collection agents for HMRC so they don't have any say in what the custom charges are, they have to work by what HMRC tell them. I think you're going to have to stump up the amount they're charging you and then reclaim, though it's worth checking that Parcel Force aren't misreading the value that the seller has put on the customs sticker - does it look more like $700 than $70? If it's a simple admin error then they should be able to correct it.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 16-10-2012 12:30pm by NightFox.)
16-10-2012 12:27pm
IKM

IIRC Parcel Force will normally allow you to view the parcel, and then you'll see the value declared by the seller.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
16-10-2012 12:53pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've had this problem too with stuff coming from the USA. Often the products are items that there is a trade dispute over and the EU has imposed a tariff rate for them. Earlier this year I ordered some out door clothing and found that the duty rate on it was 100% as the USA had been imposing restrictions on European produced similar products being imported into the States.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 16-10-2012 01:00pm by XFullFatTim.)
16-10-2012 12:59pm