Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Connecting trickle charger
jetilux

Connecting trickle charger

Hi all,

I've bought a battery tender to maintain my battery for the next few months. One question; where do I connect the leads? The charger comes with these small leads that are like rings, unlike the crocodile clips. How do I attach them to the battery itself? Because it's a ring, does that mean I have to unscrew some screws and them attach it as sort of a washer?

Thanks a lot.
19-06-2015 02:23am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Connecting trickle charger

I have been through trickle charging issues with both my Evoques and the latest Battery Management System software makes it nigh on impossible unless you buy Land Rover's unbeliveably expensive device, then have your dealer enable the system............ once done it is simplicity to work as it has it's own small plug and socket behind the radiatior/ grille. I used to trickle charge previous Land Rovers with a £10 solar panel placed on top of the dash, it worked a treat until I was half way throguh ownership of my first Evoque and there were lots of problems getting the battery to trickle charge. Turned out that at an upgrade to the BMS LR had decided to inhibit the various sockets and cigarette lighter to reduce the drain when the car wasn't used, up till then I had maintained the battery while overseas for 3-4 months with the solar panel plugged into the front cigarette light socket - the panel had a blocking diode so that it didn't become a consumer at night. I had run it on 4 previous Range Rovers without a hitch. My present RRS has so far managed 8 weeks sat on my drive (in what passes as summer) without a problem but I have an LR battery conditioner at home waiting to be installed for over the winter.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 19-06-2015 10:56pm by XFullFatTim.)
19-06-2015 10:55pm
doug

Not sure I would want to remove the nut from the battery connections each time you needed to charge a battery. It could cause issues with the electrical system when unconnecting the nut, as loosening the connection could cause a spark & of cause the safety issue when using a metal spanner on the "+" connection, it may only be 12vdc but very high amperage. If the spanner was to touch anything else metal it could take your fingers off.

If theys no say of using crocodile clamps on your device. How about asking a local Auto garage to install a set of cables inside the battery cover, with a plug connection for you to plug into as & when you need to.

I do use a trickle charger in the winter months without any problems. Mine does have crocodile clamps, making a easy job to connect up.

Tip.
The plastic bolts which hold down the battery cover lid. Other members including myself have dropped them, never to be seen again. Treat yourself to a spare packet ( I paid 38p each from LR a few yours ago)

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
20-06-2015 11:05am
jetilux

(20-06-2015 11:05am)doug Wrote:  Not sure I would want to remove the nut from the battery connections each time you needed to charge a battery. It could cause issues with the electrical system when unconnecting the nut, as loosening the connection could cause a spark & of cause the safety issue when using a metal spanner on the "+" connection, it may only be 12vdc but very high amperage. If the spanner was to touch anything else metal it could take your fingers off.

If theys no say of using crocodile clamps on your device. How about asking a local Auto garage to install a set of cables inside the battery cover, with a plug connection for you to plug into as & when you need to.

I do use a trickle charger in the winter months without any problems. Mine does have crocodile clamps, making a easy job to connect up.

Tip.
The plastic bolts which hold down the battery cover lid. Other members including myself have dropped them, never to be seen again. Treat yourself to a spare packet ( I paid 38p each from LR a few yours ago)

Thanks! It actually came with the crocodile clamps but it was too short and I was afraid it wouldn't fit with the hood closed.
I tried fitting it nonetheless and it just fit, so I went and bought a power strip so everything is good now. I figured putting and removing nuts would be dangerous too, so I didn't opt for that

I also dropped the plastic bolts down too, but luckily it wasn't too deep so I could retrieve them back.
20-06-2015 07:24pm
Daiichi

(20-06-2015 07:24pm)jetilux Wrote:  Thanks! It actually came with the crocodile clamps but it was too short and I was afraid it wouldn't fit with the hood closed.
I tried fitting it nonetheless and it just fit, so I went and bought a power strip so everything is good now. I figured putting and removing nuts would be dangerous too, so I didn't opt for that

I also dropped the plastic bolts down too, but luckily it wasn't too deep so I could retrieve them back.

Hi Jetilux,

Do you have to remove the covers for the battery each time you trickle charge the car or you modded some external connection from the battery terminals to outside of the engine bay?

LR actually had some accessory ( battery charging kit ) which you could fit it to terminals..

SD4 Auto - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Lux - Panoramic Roof - RSE - Meridian Surround System - Black Edition Badge - Xpel PPS - LED Interior
(This post was last modified: 22-06-2015 08:24am by Daiichi.)
22-06-2015 08:22am
jetilux

Daiichi, Yea i have to take off the cover every time I want to charge the battery. I dont have the skills to mod it for connection outside of the engine bay :3

Do you have the parts number so I can look it up? Or I can visit my local LR dealer to get it?
22-06-2015 08:15pm
Daiichi

(22-06-2015 08:15pm)jetilux Wrote:  Daiichi, Yea i have to take off the cover every time I want to charge the battery. I dont have the skills to mod it for connection outside of the engine bay :3

Do you have the parts number so I can look it up? Or I can visit my local LR dealer to get it?

Hi Jetilux.....it's VPLVV0077/78/79 Battery charging kit

SD4 Auto - Orkney Grey - Dynamic Lux - Panoramic Roof - RSE - Meridian Surround System - Black Edition Badge - Xpel PPS - LED Interior
23-06-2015 12:11am