Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Archiebob

Collected my 1st ever Land Rover last week,after 10yrs of owning Rav4s.
It's a 2014 Evoque dynamic with 12k on the clock.
All in all very pleased with it..apart from a strange intermittent whine coming from what seems like the drive belt.
I've been back to the RR dealership who's master technician,as they called him,said it was perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
The engine runs fine,but I'm just a little worried by this,as a mechanic friend agrees that it doesn't sound right.
Wondered if anybody else has had a similar issue.
Any comments would be most welcome.
Paul.

Evoque sd4 dynamic coupe 2014
03-09-2015 09:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: New member

Hi Archiebob and Welcome.

There's not been any real complaints of belt whine in 4 years that I remember, so if it's that it doesn't sound normal.

You don't mention if Petrol or Diesel, and if the whine follows engine speed etc. Can you hear it in the cabin?

Only whine that's been mentioned and is normal is an electrical sounding noise when the car is switched off or on sometimes it continues for a while, sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine. If it's that then it is normal and many modern cars do it now.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
03-09-2015 09:58pm
Archiebob

(03-09-2015 09:58pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Hi Archiebob and Welcome.

There's not been any real complaints of belt whine in 4 years that I remember, so if it's that it doesn't sound normal.

You don't mention if Petrol or Diesel, and if the whine follows engine speed etc. Can you hear it in the cabin?

Only whine that's been mentioned and is normal is an electrical sounding noise when the car is switched off or on sometimes it continues for a while, sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine. If it's that then it is normal and many modern cars do it now.
Thanks Phil,should have said it's an SD4 manual. I'll update my sig when I find how to do itSmile

It's quite noticeable to me from outside the car at idling,seems to be from belt pulleys.
It's one of those that once you know it's there tends to bug you a bit.
The wife will be driving it mostly,and it doesn't bother her so probably won't bother with it.
It's got 2yrs warranty left anyhow so probably not worth losing sleep over.

On the plus side got 51mpg today according to the Eco history display.
Not my normal driving style,but just wanted to see how frugal it could be if driving like aunt daisy.

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 10:46pm by Archiebob.)
03-09-2015 10:23pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Don't believe to trip computer! Set up an account at Fuelly.com and record fill ups to get a more realistic idea of overall mpg. My 3.0l twin turbo Sport reckoned I was getting 54.3mpg yesterday, but only because I was stuck behind a convoy of trucks doing 45mph and there was no way I could overtake safely......... it is routinely giving me better MPG than either of the Evoques I have owned according to the trip computer. I would say the TC is overreading by 10-15%............

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 09:01am by XFullFatTim.)
04-09-2015 08:55am
Archiebob

(04-09-2015 08:55am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Don't believe to trip computer! Set up an account at Fuelly.com and record fill ups to get a more realistic idea of overall mpg. My 3.0l twin turbo Sport reckoned I was getting 54.3mpg yesterday, but only because I was stuck behind a convoy of trucks doing 45mph and there was no way I could overtake safely......... it is routinely giving me better MPG than either of the Evoques I have owned according to the trip computer. I would say the TC is overreading by 10-15%............
Yes that's true, OBCs always err on the optimistic side,but are ok as a rough guide.
However my old Rav T180's computer is accurate to within -2mpg from doing a brim test.
Where RR get a figure of 49mpg for the sd4 only God knows Smile
Has anyone done a brim test on the Evoque?,or do we all have that much money we don't really careVery Happy

04-09-2015 04:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Here is the record for my last Evoque, a Dynamic Lux Plus 9 speed auto that had serious issues with the DPF sensor hence it's departure from my garage after only 12 months in my ownership: http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/ran...tim/248608
My first one, a 2011 MY 6 speed auto Dynamic Plus Lux coupe
http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/ran...tim/117388

These are all brim to brim records

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 05:47pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-09-2015 05:43pm