Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TD4 extensive road test (AutoGids)
Daigriff

RE: TD4 extensive road test (AutoGids)

"even for a boring black one"...cheeky Censored

Arrived 16th December 2011: 5 door Prestige SD4 auto in Barolo black with ambience interior, pano roof, privacy and 20" style 6 alloys.Very Happy
14-09-2011 07:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vision*R

(14-09-2011 05:56pm)Gorjan Wrote:  Don't get me wrong, I like the Evoque a lot, but it is not still available to see and test drive in my contry, I can only rely on magazine reviews and what people say about it. I dream of it being perfect (some reviews like AutoExpress claimed it Smile ) and then get little dissapointed by negative points some make...

I guess i need to wait until my test drive in the weeks to come... And than make comments...

No need to panic with every negative comment (as long as they're minor) Cool I haven't driven it myself, but I am actually quite surprised how positive the reviews are. I don't think the Evoque is about technical perfection and extreme efficiency anyway. BMW is better at that, but as a consequence their end results are quite sterile as well, a bit soulless. The Evoque on the other hand is a work of art and I'm willing to make some (minor) concessions for it... So far I haven't seen any negative points that would make it a bad car.
(14-09-2011 07:17pm)Daigriff Wrote:  "even for a boring black one"...cheeky Censored

Those are their words Wink They wonder what it would have been like to drive a Colima Lime or Mauritius Blue Laughing

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2011 08:41pm by vision*R.)
14-09-2011 08:20pm
Evoqess

Gorjan, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Sometimes I think it depends on what your current vehicle is, but even coming from a 2011 Audi I'm happy with my decision (after test driving Dynamic Coupe and Pure 5 door) and can barely wait for my Evoque to arrive.

When I read the review the main points seem to be poor rear visibility (rear view camera and large side mirrors fix that) and difficult access to rear seats in coupe (big deal, coupes are for people who rarely need the back seats).
As for the numerous software glitches - I've worked demonstrating first release medical equipment over the years (worth hundreds of thousands of dollars) and would you believe it, first releases always have glitches but engineers work solidly to update and resolve these.
Don't worry!! Our cars won't be plagued like this one Smile
"I don't think the Evoque is about technical perfection and extreme efficiency anyway. BMW is better at that, but as a consequence their end results are quite sterile as well, a bit soulless. The Evoque on the other hand is a work of art and I'm willing to make some (minor) concessions for it."

Bravo vision*R!!
The Evoque has soul - look at us all on here singing it's praises. Guys, a few gals Wink
One of the golden rules is never buying a new model of anything as there is the risk of glitches - the Evoque will need time to reveal itself in the reliability ranks. We are the brave pioneers ruled by our desires not logic Smile

Evoque fan who used to drive Shocked a Pure, Fuji, 19" style 4 alloys, heated everything, rear cam, power tailgate, pan roof, privacy glass etc
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2011 09:36pm by Evoqess.)
14-09-2011 09:31pm
Barneyridge

(14-09-2011 01:38pm)memota Wrote:  
(14-09-2011 12:09pm)vision*R Wrote:  What they said exactly is that it's slower than a BMW X1 18d with 143 bhp to do a full kilometer (32,7s vs. 31,2s) but that it's quicker than opponents in 60-90 or 90-120 km/h accelerations due to the high torque. It's not a sprinter but it's swift enough in real life situations. Also let's not forget the car had done only 500 km. when being tested.

Good points.

Heart wants Si4, head TD4. Big price difference, about AU$5k (2k pounds) as the diesel attracts less luxury car tax due to lower consumption.

Am googling engine differences like crazy now that I've decided on body and model finally (5dr Prestige - we can get petrol in any model over here).

I had the same decision but went the TD4 due as I wanted the torque for towing my boat.

Also I have a turbo petrol at the moment and whilst the performance is excellent, I just can’t access it driving to work each morning in traffic. I currently use 11.5lt/100km and if the TD4 comes in to 7.5lt to 8.5lt/100km, so there is a 3lt to 4lt saving. Over a week, I do approx 450 kms so it will be a saving of maybe 13+ litres per week. On the landrover.au website it does not have urban consumption for the si4 but a combined consumption of 8.7lt/100. I would then suggest city driving would be up there near what I currently use on my Forester XT.

The fuel prices in Sydney this morning there was about 19c difference between diesel and premium. Remember you will need to use premium as well. If I save 13 litres per week, and based on the price of premium today (166c) that would mean over a $1,000 a year I would save. The last consideration would be resale, I think going forward the diesel may provide a bit better resale.

Pure TD4, Fiji, Auto, Pan Roof + Extras - Delivered Very Happy
14-09-2011 11:29pm
vision*R

Good points, nothing wrong with a little sensibility even when you're buying an expensive car.
Driving a big petrol car is punished heavily (in Belgium but other countries as well), certainly for company use.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
15-09-2011 09:42am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Gorjan, just bear in mind that for some magazines it is a "sport" to find things wrong with Land Rover products - often they blow the tiniest fault up out of all proportion, and for most of the British motoring press any marque that isn't a BMW or Audi is a lost cause even before they have driven it. We have some magazines here where you can predict the result of any group road test where there is a BMW car in the group - the magazines will even go as far as to contradict themselves to put a BMW product as the winner................ Audi's often come 2nd here unless Audi supplies a car for test with Sportline suspension, then it will get panned for having hard suspension but will get a top slot because of the build quality.
But when it comes to Big SUV's then they are almost all in agreement - if you need to have a wagon that can do anything in luxury then usually the Disco4
wins hands down, even when they pan it for being too heavy and heavy on the fuel!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 09:49am by XFullFatTim.)
15-09-2011 09:48am