Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Close shave shows another little Evoque safety feature
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Close shave shows another little Evoque safety feature

Auto flashing Hazard Warning lights under emergency/heavy braking!

This morning I had to slam on the brakes, and I mean seriously slam them on at 60mph when a stupid t*at driving an Audi S4 coming the other way decided that he wasn't going to run over the pheasant that had just flown out onto the road and wanted to hit me head-on instead and veered right into my path.........

Brake pedal to the floor very very quickly, DSC kicked in, steering firmed up noticeably and the car pulled up straight and in a totally controlled way and then I heard the indicators clicking. I looked at the dash and both arrows were illuminating showing the Hazard Warning lights had come on!

The brakes on this car are even better than the Brembos I had on my last RRS. Fortunately we both managed to stop about 10feet apart and luckily the following car was a sensible 3-4 car lengths behind and was an RRSport and also stopped in an extremely short distance (thank goodness he wasn't tailgating!)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 06:08pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-03-2012 06:07pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slee18

RE: Close shave shows another little Evoque safety feature

glad you and evoque are ok! Smile

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
22-03-2012 06:10pm
WB
WB

(22-03-2012 06:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Auto flashing Hazard Warning lights under emergency/heavy braking!

This morning I had to slam on the brakes, and I mean seriously slam them on at 60mph when a stupid t*at driving an Audi S4 coming the other way decided that he wasn't going to run over the pheasant that had just flown out onto the road and wanted to hit me head-on instead and veered right into my path.........

Brake pedal to the floor very very quickly, DSC kicked in, steering firmed up noticeably and the car pulled up straight and in a totally controlled way and then I heard the indicators clicking. I looked at the dash and both arrows were illuminating showing the Hazard Warning lights had come on!

The brakes on this car are even better than the Brembos I had on my last RRS. Fortunately we both managed to stop about 10feet apart and luckily the following car was a sensible 3-4 car lengths behind and was an RRSport and also stopped in an extremely short distance (thank goodness he wasn't tailgating!)

Sorry you had to find out under those circumstances but I had been meaning to look up if this or flashing brake lights under hard breaking were a feature on the Evoque as I've seen it on a couple of cars and wasn't sure if it was an EU directive or something from the manufacturers.
22-03-2012 06:12pm
vinny

They are the most stupid things in the animal kingdom...and pheasants are a close second!Very Happy

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
22-03-2012 08:17pm
PhilSkill

Well Avoided Tim, glad you and Evoque are ok, and good to know hazards are Auto! saves considering that with an emergency stop!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-03-2012 08:29pm
THEMACS

Censored Audi Drivers!!! Don't know how to drive!!!!!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
22-03-2012 09:11pm
tetstb

Hmm, not all Audi drivers are to$$ers, just those that buy S4s and can't drive them properly.

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
22-03-2012 09:14pm
Claud

Glad you manged to avoid an impact Tim, the brakes are quite good as I found out having to brake suddenly approaching a round about recently.

The only time I have had hazards come on in a car automatically was when I hit a larger than usual Surrey pot hole which wrecked two of my then Mercedes low profile alloy wheels and tyres, the roll over bars jumped up, interior light came on and engine stopped. Modern cars have a wealth of safety systems which fortunately very few owners never find out about. The ECUs record all the events too, which can prove to be very useful to the police accident investigators and can often provide evidence which can be used in court. Land Rover warn you of this in the small print of the manuals ...........food for thought. Not an issue for safe law abiding drivers though.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 09:59pm by Claud.)
22-03-2012 09:58pm
J77

I read that in the brochure but haven't had the need to do an emergency stop yet.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
23-03-2012 12:12pm
CSJ

How was the pheasant?

On order: Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription Pro

Current: Porsche Macan, Pebble Interior, Volcano Grey, Bose, other extras which cost lots and should be standard

Gone:
BMW X6 m diesel with BMW exclusive interior
Evoque Dynamic Orkney, Accolade Dynamic Plus Sports Interior (Ivory)
Evoque. Coupe, Dynamic, Fuji, Pursuit (x2)
Scirocco 2.0 GT DSG, Black, Black Lthr, 19" Luganos
TT Mk 2, Grey, Audi Exclusive Int
SLK Mk 2, Blk, Beige Lthr
TT Mk 1, Blue, Silver Lthr
TT Mk 1, Silver, Grey Lthr
23-03-2012 12:15pm