Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cheapest iPhone Deal
LP

Cheapest iPhone Deal

Hope this isn't against forum rules but I spent ages looking for the best value way to get the iPhone 4S so thought I'd share my findings. I have had all the other iPhone models so decided I may as well upgrade even though it isn't a huge improvement. It turns out the cheapest way to get the iPhone is to buy it outright from Apple and then join giffgaff, a network that piggy-backs the O2 network.

giffgaff offer a £10 a month deal that gives you 250mins, unlimited texts, and best of all, truly unlimited mobile data, plus free unlimited calls to giffgaff members. Was hugely sceptical because I was on an old O2 contract that gives unlimited data but I was paying £20 a month plus VAT. Ordered a giffgaff sim the other day and it works exactly as advertised. Just waiting for my number to port over. Have signed up my wife so we'll have unlimited calls between the two of us.

giffgaff keep costs down by not advertising or selling through shops. Its all done by word of mouth/referral...If you sign up through my recommendation link you'll get £5 credit to get you going (and for full disclosure I get £5 towards my bill too). Loads more info at giffgaff's website or on money saving expert.

If you want the free £5 credit order a sim through the following link http://tinyurl.com/giffgafflp (You'll need to cut it down to get it to fit in an iPhone but that is dead easy) - or send me a PM and I can send you out a microsim.

BTW...it works on all models of iPhone...and other unlocked handsets too.
18-10-2011 09:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DynamicRRV

RE: Cheapest iPhone Deal

Sounds great but I have the 4s on orange. I'm sure others will thank you and benefit.
18-10-2011 09:44pm
SW6RR

Cheapest iPhone Deal

Bought the 4s on launch day and went for giffgaff. It's good.

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
18-10-2011 09:59pm
caroline11000

I got my giffgaff sim through a few days ago but not tried it yet as I still have some contract time left with t mobile, but it sounds a great deal. I wasn't sure about cutting the sim down but if you say it's easy I guess it is!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
18-10-2011 10:05pm
LP

Cheapest iPhone Deal

If you can afford the £500 up front then it is certainly best value for money. Or if you are coming to the end of a contract but have decided not to upgrade I think giffgaff is worth a punt.
Caroline - the cuts are quite close to the chip. I did mine with scissors. If you use the templates and follow the instructions you will be okay.

I have since bought a microsim cutter for a couple of quid on eBay for my wife and father in laws.
(This post was last modified: 18-10-2011 10:11pm by LP.)
18-10-2011 10:07pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Does giffgaff also allow global roaming at discounted rates?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-10-2011 10:11pm
LP

Cheapest iPhone Deal

No. The roaming isn't great. Outside Europe it is £1 a minute to make/receive calls. 30p for a text. Not ideal if you are away a couple
of months a year.

But I'm going to be saving almost £150 a year compared to O2 so figured that will cover the odd text home when I'm on holiday.
18-10-2011 10:21pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Cheers for that - I use an Etisalat SIM and prepaid cards throughout the Middle East and they work out at 24 hours unlimited data downloading for $5 so I use Viber in my iPhone to call home - "free" calls to other vibe users using VOIP (similar to Skype but better for iPhones) once you have the SIM and pre-paid card.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-10-2011 10:26pm