Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing my mind
J77

RE: Changing my mind

I do agree that there are areas where the Evoque falls down compared to the larger RR/LRs but still feel this car is a vast improvement (by LRs standards) over other models in the range when first launched.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
06-06-2012 07:08pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ED209

(06-06-2012 03:55pm)THEMACS Wrote:  Good for you!!

Well I can think of many a Cheaper car that have Much Better quality interior plastics.

We do love the car but there are a few items which let a £40k car down and should be addressed in my opinion.

And as for Mass Produced, is a BMW 3 series or a Merc C Class not produced in WAY more numbers than an Evoque??

I assume you sat in an evoque before you parted with your cash? If the cars so crap why did you buy it?

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
06-06-2012 07:46pm
leeselee

(06-06-2012 06:04pm)Gorjan Wrote:  I also think the lower part (including the glove box) are made of cheap plastic. Also the center console plastic feels too thin and flimsy.

It is not that just it feels thin, flimsy and brittle (like a cheap chinese toy) but also just touch the edges of most of the plastics - they are sharp. This doesn't convey a feeling that attention to detail was applied while making the car.

Also just press the plastic or the aluminium on the centre console where the TR controls are, and you will hear cracking noises - not very reassuring. Seems like that it will develop rattles or crack very soon.

Compare this to BMW X3 or better Mercedes GLK/C-class.... Yes they look boring, but that doesn't deminish the fact that they represent the premium class and with interior like this Range Rover is not. It can be compared to a very good looking Ford...

I have purchased the car like most, based on good looks and as it was rated very good by journalists.... There was no car for a test drive, and when being excited while looking at it in the showroom, I didn't bother to examine the interior too much. Having it home now to myself I was dissapointed.

you bought the car without test driving?

I could not imagine doing that.

I cannot agree with it looking like a Ford either

different like night and day

only my opinion Smile
06-06-2012 08:15pm
THEMACS

(06-06-2012 07:46pm)ED209 Wrote:  I assume you sat in an evoque before you parted with your cash? If the cars so crap why did you buy it?

Are you illiterate or something Ed! I said there were parts of the car that were not great quality, but overall we love the car, I am merely stating MY opinion on some of the Low Rent interior finishers, and if you take the time to read some of the other posts above, assuming you are able, you will see there are other people with similar opinions.

The car isn't perfect you know, have you actually had a good look at it? And if memory serves me correctly, you have commented about the low quality of numerous things like your flimsy dodgy roof!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
06-06-2012 08:22pm
Gorjan

I agree with THERMACS. I also didn't say that I didn't like the car as a whole, just that LR could use much better materials and build quiality for the interior.

About why did I buy the car knowing this...? I suppose I was blinded by the love at first sight and the idea of a "small cool Range Rover"...

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
06-06-2012 08:38pm
mark_n

Yes of course they could have used better materials but would you have been prepared to pay the resulting higher price. The car is a compromise, just like any other.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-06-2012 09:17pm
Ianpembs

Still waiting my beast although all this talk of a Censored glove box etc Im getting a bit jittery. However I have taken one for a test drive and gave it a good looking over and must admit it all sounds a tad anal as really who looks at a glove box when deciding on a car.
I was sold on the overall package yes you could compare the glove box to a BMW or Merc but thats about all you get on a base model. Unfortunately though that said sometimes you dont look at the minor low cost items as when buying a premium brand product those things one would assume would be upto the brand and I think that by the sound of things they are not. It appears it is the minor cheap to fix things are taking the gloss off a fine looking car and distracting from its main assets. Whilst this part off the forum is getting a tad heated its a good wake up call for LR to make a good car better for just a few quid after all they not long hyped the base price up nearly a grand so hopefully that will go towards a non Censored glove box fitted on mine in August.
06-06-2012 09:18pm
cjfp

I like my glovebox! You want to try the one in my FL2 !

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
06-06-2012 09:27pm
THEMACS

(06-06-2012 09:18pm)Ianpembs Wrote:  Still waiting my beast although all this talk of a Censored glove box etc Im getting a bit jittery. However I have taken one for a test drive and gave it a good looking over and must admit it all sounds a tad anal as really who looks at a glove box when deciding on a car.
I was sold on the overall package yes you could compare the glove box to a BMW or Merc but thats about all you get on a base model. Unfortunately though that said sometimes you dont look at the minor low cost items as when buying a premium brand product those things one would assume would be upto the brand and I think that by the sound of things they are not. It appears it is the minor cheap to fix things are taking the gloss off a fine looking car and distracting from its main assets. Whilst this part off the forum is getting a tad heated its a good wake up call for LR to make a good car better for just a few quid after all they not long hyped the base price up nearly a grand so hopefully that will go towards a non Censored glove box fitted on mine in August.

Spot On!!

You will love the car I promise you!! Just don't use the glove box Laughing
(06-06-2012 09:17pm)mark_n Wrote:  Yes of course they could have used better materials but would you have been prepared to pay the resulting higher price. The car is a compromise, just like any other.

Of course it's a compromise pretty much everything in life is, but would it really have added that much more cost to upgrade the quality of the interior plastics?? It wouldn't be significant and surely it would have been worth it to make it just that bit betterVery Happy Just MY opinionVery Happy

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012 09:39pm by THEMACS.)
06-06-2012 09:37pm
J77

They could have used the most expensive and luxurious materials in the world but someone would have found something to complain about.

The Evoque is a stunning little car and yes there are parts that fall short of the Range Rover image but I do believe these will be improved in future model years as they have done in the D4 and RRS. These 'cheaper' plastics are there for weight saving as the car only ways about 1800kg (ED4 a bit lighter) perhaps LR could have been a bit more fussy when it came to choosing the materials and made the centre console a bit less hollow.

To anybody who is waiting for there Evoque, it is stunning.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
06-06-2012 09:44pm