Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Car park dent body protection
doug

RE: Car park dent body protection

How about some of that magnetic sheets used for vehicle signs, with felt on the back & cut in to strips. Its not going to win any design awards, but could be used if your forced to park in a airport car park etc...
Just fit/remove when needed.
Colour & design possibility are endless.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
05-07-2012 09:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

Aren't the panels made of aluminium?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
05-07-2012 11:02pm
mark_n

I'm afraid it's all down to the quest for lower weight. The panels we see play next to no part in providing structural strength and crash protection, they are almost decoration and are made as light as possible. The RRE is especially wide and is unfortunately vulnerable in the narrow car parking spaces deemed "standard". That's why I run an ageing but still excellent Subaru Impreza which is peppered with dings for the supermarket run, airport parking, going to the dump and all the rest.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-07-2012 03:33am
Firenze

(05-07-2012 11:02pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Aren't the panels made of aluminium?

Well the doors are definitely steel as I do actually attach the strips with magnets at the moment but I think the bonnet is aluminium and the front wings and boot door is plastic

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
06-07-2012 11:33am
Evo-king

I'm with you on that, but a little surprised that the doors are steel.

I posed the question based on the use of magnetic strips believing the doors were aluminium.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
06-07-2012 09:20pm
WorldTraveler

A few years back I had another "Brand" of SUV that suffered the same fate i.e. Supermarket Trolly Rash ... anyway, got these dings fixed and had sidesteps installed, now when inconsiderate people open thier doors they are liable to dent theirs before mine Smile

Delivered 31st March 2012
Pure, 5 Door, TD4, Manual, Firenze Red, Tech Pack, Front Fogs, Xenon, Pano Roof

Track Consumption Using The Site Below
[Image: 117709.png]
11-07-2012 05:21pm
Kentboy

(04-07-2012 01:09pm)Firenze Wrote:  I get fed up of wondering if when I return to my car some inconsiderate person has slammed there door into mine leaving me with a dent so I decided to look for a protection strip which would not ruin the look and I found this

At the moment Im unsure wether to fix it permanently as if I decide to remove it I will have a job to remove the double sided tape.

So does it ruin the look?

Anyone know of a not so permanent way of fitting it?

The dent I have just received in my drivers door looks as though it's from a protruding corner of a door somehow as its gone in deep but missed the handle which is just a few inches above and you would have thought would have taken the door first. Just proves you can't protect 100% of the body.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
30-08-2012 08:54pm
Firenze

Yeah I know what you mean it is probably the rear door that did the damage as some cars rear doors end at a point which is almost impossible to protect your Evoque from.

Cant believe how inconsiderate some people are towards other peoples property!!

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
30-08-2012 09:42pm
PhilSkill

I have only picked up 2 tiny nicks on that very edge which will polish out fortunately, exactly where youve put the strip so it would help a lot.

I too run my previous car as a shopping, dump, diy store trolley, its already taken a large scuff to the rear bumper saving my Evoque from such a careless half wit. Its got a much bigger boot too!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
30-08-2012 10:43pm
cs33wa

(04-07-2012 08:39pm)Kimv Wrote:  Doesn't look too bad. As you said, a bit low.

To avoid dents I:

1) go to the store on the least busy moments
2) park very far from the entrance and shopping kart spot
3) occupy 2 spots (I know... But only when there's plenty of other spots left)
4) or park next to another seemingly new car or a car well taken care of
5) if given the choice park on the side of the other cars passenger door (there's always a driver but not always a passenger)
6) avoid mono volumes or other obvious family cars
7) spend the shortest amount of time possible in the store
Cool if I find another car parked next to mine, check my car for dents (I plan on taking pictures if ever I find any...)

So far successful...

9) do mostly parallel parking Smile

Current Honda Euro 4yrs, with no dent so far.

Ordered:31/7/12
My13 Si4 Dynamic 5 Door Fuji White, new tech pack, new convinient pack, pano, adaptive dynamic, style7 wheel
Built 16th Nov 2012
Delivered: 17th Jan 2013
Wait is over...love my baby!!!
31-08-2012 01:04am