Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cancelled order
Firebird

Cancelled order

Hi guys,

Been looking at other options and decided that I am going to buy a hot hatch instead of an Evoque.

Test drove a Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophy twice last week and was very impressed but will drive a Subaru WRX Hatch this weekend before I make the final decision.

WRX is actually slightly bigger than the Evoque, the Megane is slightly smaller. On of the key reason for the change in mind is that when I started thinking about if I needed a SUV and that answer was no. One of the other considerations was as I do lots of kms diesel would be the best option but the difference between the Evoque a the Megane is only 2 l/100kms plus the Megane is 25-30K less, that outways the fuel discussion. Another concern was risk in buying a brand new model from Land Rover. We know that they are not the most reliable brand.

Lastly, I was advised by the dealer that LR Aust at this stage could not give them a delivery date, in fact I was supposed to get an invite this week to a preview and have been told that this will not now happen till late June.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2011 07:51am by Firebird.)
12-05-2011 05:25am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wicksy

RE: Finally decided to cancel order

(12-05-2011 05:25am)Firebird Wrote:  Hi guys,

Been looking at other options and decided that I am going to buy a hot hatch instead of an Evoque.

Test drove a Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophy twice last week and was very impressed but will drive a Subaru WRX Hatch this weekend before I make the final decision.

WRX is actually slightly bigger than the Evoque, the Megane is slightly smaller. On of the key reason for the change in mind is that when I started thinking about if I needed a SUV and that answer was no. One of the other considerations was as I do lots of kms diesel would be the best option but the difference between the Evoque a the Megane is only 2 l/100kms plus the Megane is 25-30K less, that outways the fuel discussion. Another concern was risk in buying a brand new model from Land Rover. We know that they are not the most reliable brand.

Lastly, I was advised by the dealer that LR Aust at this stage could not give them a delivery date, in fact I was supposed to get an invite this week to a preview and have been told that this will not now happen till late June.

Cheers

My son has a Megane RS Cup - awesome car but fuel consumption is quite heavy - especially around town - cars are as different as chalk and cheese but good luckWink
12-05-2011 07:59am
Alex

Yeah the whole car purchasing saga can be confusing and stressful. We are still holding back from making a final decision until we can see the car in the flesh, as so far it’s been just brochures and YouTube. But we get to check out the Evoque at the London event in a few weeks time.

Our main objective is not necessarily to buy an SUV specifically but we have a cross-over at the minute and I prefer the seating height, and internal storage space in a cross-over than say saloon/coupe type vehicle. However I think the Evoque will be ok despite it being a first series. The reviews I have read stated a lot of the technology is 3rd generation, and this is LR’s only vehicle that has undergone so much testing. So I’m confident it will be fine.

The problem is when you start to browse other brands – I was looking at a BMW 3 series the other day and they had nice specs in terms of MPG (some up to 60-70+!) and the cars were also fast 0-60 in 7.5 secs (MSport), plus affordable with great interest rates from BMW.

So I was thinking the 3 series probably works out as a more economical car to drive, and in road tax, plus better performance. But the 3 series is just as common as a Ford Focus and I bet the depreciation will be twice as steep in comparison to the Evoque so in the end (minus the performance) works out the same.

The plus points to the Evoque is the overall interior design, and technology (inside and out) it has been well thought out, something which I think lacks in most comparative vehicle brands. That’s why I still have interest for the Evoque over other brands as I sort of see it as the iPhone of cars and something which no doubt will set the standard or competition over the next few years.

In terms of waiting times I'm not that fussed.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
12-05-2011 08:14am
mb8388

I also decided to cancel my order for a Fuji White Evqoue SD4 Dynamic Coupe with all the problems with coupe orders and some options not being available.
Last weekend I ordered an Ibis White Audi Q5 3.0 tdi S-Line Special Edition. With a few options it came to £43k, same as I was going to spend on the Evoque.
The LR dealer was more than happy to refund my deposit. Good luck to eveyone else!
12-05-2011 08:51am
Alex

(12-05-2011 08:51am)mb8388 Wrote:  I also decided to cancel my order for a Fuji White Evqoue SD4 Dynamic Coupe with all the problems with coupe orders and some options not being available.
Last weekend I ordered an Ibis White Audi Q5 3.0 tdi S-Line Special Edition. With a few options it came to £43k, same as I was going to spend on the Evoque.
The LR dealer was more than happy to refund my deposit. Good luck to eveyone else!

That will be a nice car!! What I was looking at prior to the Evoque.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
12-05-2011 09:23am
LRX
Banned

(12-05-2011 08:51am)mb8388 Wrote:  with all the problems with coupe orders

But there aren't any problems.
12-05-2011 09:41am
Blackseries

(12-05-2011 08:51am)mb8388 Wrote:  I ordered an Ibis White Audi Q5 3.0 tdi S-Line Special Edition.

I have a feeling that every time you see a White Evoque Coupe you'll wish you hadn't.

The Q5 is a lovely car – but the Evoque is an Automotive Sculpture

Good luck with the Audi.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
12-05-2011 09:52am
DynamicRRV

They cannot refuse to refund your deposit as it's only a deposit to enter the list, you cannot be expected to throw away a grand when you have not even seen the car!
12-05-2011 10:09am
mb8388

(12-05-2011 09:41am)LRX Wrote:  
(12-05-2011 08:51am)mb8388 Wrote:  with all the problems with coupe orders

But there aren't any problems.

That's not what my dealer in Hull tells me! He even has claimed to have emailed LR to see why he's not allowed to process coupe orders, but not had a reply. I was 5th on the list (and 1st for a coupe) but orders further down have been submitted as they're for 5-doors he says. I completely lost faith in him and LR and just gave up. Car magazine have praised the Evoque but still suggest you buy a Q5 until the Evoque is proven to be reliable. So I did!
12-05-2011 10:19am
evoqueboy

The problem is when you start to browse other brands – I was looking at a BMW 3 series the other day and they had nice specs in terms of MPG (some up to 60-70+!) and the cars were also fast 0-60 in 7.5 secs (MSport), plus affordable with great interest rates.

[/quote]

I thought 0-60 on the Evoque coupe is 8 secs so not much slower and if you get it chipped it could shave off up to a couple of secs whilst improving mpg!
12-05-2011 10:38am