Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender?
Token

Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender?

I am currently on a campaign to buy british wherever possible to support our flagging economy...I don't see how we can moan about the government or the banks when most of us are taking the newly printed cash they keep printing and sending it overseas as soon as we get it! So...my good lady has a Pug 107 but as we are about to get a new dog, she needs something bigger. It has to be british and as I am loving my Evoque, and I loved the Vogue I had previously, I can't think of anything better than a Landie.

She only does about 5 miles per day and we just want something that can deal with driving accross fields (not proper off-roading) and generally being abused...whilst also being able to do a 200 mile round trip to the coast if required.

Only have about £10k to spend...not too concerned about running costs due to limited mileage that she does, but road tax etc I guess is a consideration.

What would you Landie experts go for and why?

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
17-02-2012 03:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cedric

RE: Vogue, Disco, Freelander, or Defender?

I saw this on tv the other day and was amazed how cheap these things go, probably has to do with taxes.
17-02-2012 06:09pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

£10k wil get you a nice Disco2 TD5 and a set of Mud Tyres or if you can find one a V8 Disco2. Disco 3 and RRS are not yet that low in price. It would also get you a nice TD5 or TDi300 Defender but you will have to be very careful as so many have been neglected or heavily off-roaded. Disoc 1's can suffer horrendously from corrosion but you might fine a good one for a lot less than the same age Defender

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
17-02-2012 06:47pm
forest172

Surely you're supporting our British economy whichever brand of car you buy 2nd hand.

Evoque PURE sd4 auto
Disco 4 GS gone
Toy 1 - Focus RS mk2
Toy 2 - Evo Xrs in the garage as my avatar
18-02-2012 08:45am
dandavis1

You realise JLR is now Indian, don't you? A huge number of vehicles are manufactured in the UK. How about a ford focus, a Mini or a Transit van?

Buying a second hand land rover won't fulfill your rather blinkered view on 'buying British'.
(This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 09:15am by dandavis1.)
18-02-2012 09:15am
vinny

Hope your new dog is a british breed as well?Very Happy

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
18-02-2012 09:38am
peet

Make it 15 and you can have my Disco 3. It will be on the market as soon as I am certain of my delivery date. (It's planned for late March).

Mauritius Blue 5 door Prestige +LUX. Manual SD4. Ambiance interior - Spare
Took Delivery: 23/03/12
Bike: Honda ST1300 Pan European
18-02-2012 10:27am
Token

(17-02-2012 06:47pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  £10k wil get you a nice Disco2 TD5 and a set of Mud Tyres or if you can find one a V8 Disco2. Disco 3 and RRS are not yet that low in price. It would also get you a nice TD5 or TDi300 Defender but you will have to be very careful as so many have been neglected or heavily off-roaded. Disoc 1's can suffer horrendously from corrosion but you might fine a good one for a lot less than the same age Defender

Thanks Tim
(18-02-2012 08:45am)forest172 Wrote:  Surely you're supporting our British economy whichever brand of car you buy 2nd hand.

Not really...maybe in terms of the initial purchase...but parts and service will be british.
(18-02-2012 09:15am)dandavis1 Wrote:  You realise JLR is now Indian, don't you? A huge number of vehicles are manufactured in the UK. How about a ford focus, a Mini or a Transit van?

Buying a second hand land rover won't fulfill your rather blinkered view on 'buying British'.

I do indeed realise that TATA are Indian...but pretty sure that doesn't make a difference to all the people who are being paid in Halewood.

Agree re Focus, Mini and Transit Van...but as I think I made clear with my post, first criteria was 'supporting Britain'...and then make (from the options remaining) has been decided by my experience of my Vogue and now the Evoque.

So exactly which part of my view is blinkered???
(18-02-2012 09:38am)vinny Wrote:  Hope your new dog is a british breed as well?Very Happy

Good question...I may be wrong but I think the Lab is Canadian??? Does that count??

Either way, it is supporting a british breeder Smile
(18-02-2012 10:27am)peet Wrote:  Make it 15 and you can have my Disco 3. It will be on the market as soon as I am certain of my delivery date. (It's planned for late March).

Mates rates?

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
(This post was last modified: 18-02-2012 04:39pm by Token.)
18-02-2012 04:33pm