Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CAR magazine review
griff

RE: CAR magazine review

And Alderley Edge Smile

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
15-08-2011 06:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

[quote='Blackseries' pid='7699' dateline='1313424029']
Just wondering as AutoCar and AutoExpress got all the exclusive first drives on the Evoque whether it’s a bit of sour grapes on Car Magazines part.

quote]

As a car subscriber, I would point out that Car's May edition had a full test drive of a SD4 auto, when everyone else were just having passenger rides

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
15-08-2011 07:55pm
Blackseries

Just specced up a Golf GTi 2.0 TSi as per a Prestige / Dynamic - you can't have 19" wheels and a glass roof together in the Golf for some reason but if you could the total comes to £37,000 so a £3- 4K premium for the Evoque (for 4x4 .. etc).

I wish these journalists would get their facts straight -- I mean it is their job..... it’s the headline article and it’s their grand conclusion ..... so to be £8k out is very sloppy.

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
21-08-2011 04:32pm
HA54SYM

I think its a very odd thing to compare an Evoque to a GTi, we have a current Mk6 GTi and will be getting an Evoque, but they are totally different in every way!

Dave
21-08-2011 04:35pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Write and tell them, you never know you might get their star letter award! I read the article too and my conclusion was that they weren't really THAT keen on the Golf, but they just couldn't bear to have a non-German car winning......... as the Golf really won by the tiniest margin

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2011 04:38pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-08-2011 04:36pm
Jonathon555

The golf gti is too small & has no cup holders

I got rid of mine, it's also too chuffing expensive for what it is

So called hot hatches should be £20 k max as that is the ethos of a hot hatch , affordable performance with practicality

Not range rover rivalling cost

SD4 Arrived, Fuji , 20" style wheels, Privacy glass, Front fogs, Auto wiper and Auto Lights, Black leather

MY Nuburburing & Track Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/jonathon555?...sults_main
21-08-2011 06:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Just looked at the VW website and Golf GTI only get "part leather" Recaro seats as a £3600 option................. assume that normally they are cloth covered so another nail in the value for money against the RRE

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 21-08-2011 07:09pm by XFullFatTim.)
21-08-2011 07:09pm
BFGEvoqueMan

This post is IMHO:

I think on the face of it the VW golf et al may not be an obvious rival for the RRE; but!

RR say the Evoque (in 3 door form at least) was benchmarked against the TT and the X1. Whilst the RRE is a very capable off roader the 3 door is very much a market fashion driven product, it just happens to be an small SUV; think of the sucess of the Nissan Quashquai and it getting the market just right that people want the looks of an SUV but the running costs of a conventional hatchback. The TT nearest style rival is the Peugeot and the the Golf is a benchmark of a hot hatch.

When you look at all the members on this forum we have a pretty eclectic mix of cars which for the most we will be trading for the RRE, and I think we are all in danger of confusing the RRE with larger RR products where they have clear (large) 4x4 competition. RR hype of the car and talk of car like driving dynamics will inevitably lead to group test against a variety of fast cars as we saw in this test. Whislt the golf won the test, could you imagine the same 2nd place result being said of a Q5 or X3 or Kuga or Freelander 2?

I think that we need to reflect that LR have taken an FL2, made it look 15 out of 10, and then made it drive like a hot hatch, which clearly this test showed.IdeaIdea

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
22-08-2011 08:36am