Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Buying Guide for a Disco II
AAA86

Buying Guide for a Disco II

Hello all,

Just looking around to buy a Disco II and found 2 that can fit my budget.
1) 2004 with 164K Km on it 7 seater. 4.6 V8 i believe. - here in North America we only had the petrol engine Sad

Or
2) 2002 with 191k Km on it. I believe this one got 4.0 v8 in it

Both are SE trims. Both same price? I want to know if anyone have any suggestions of what to look for in buying that series! Am looking at it as a second car, as I still have my Evoque coupe. Family is growing [emoji1]

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
23-03-2015 05:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Buying Guide for a Disco II

From previous experience I would say check that both have had lots and lots and lots of oil changes. Sludging of both of these engines was very common if there were missed oil changes. Otherwise they are pretty robust motors based on a Buick lump. Regarding the car itself - lift the mats and check all the footwells and the boot floor for rust/ corrosion and holes - Disco2 is very prone to rust in the tailgate / boot area and also in the wheelarches here in the UK where we put rock salt on the roads as soon as it looks like getting frosty! Also check that the original rear air suspension is still fitted and they haven't been converted to coil suspension, with out the air suspension at the back the self levelling suspension won't work and neither will the ACE suspension system. Have you tried googling for Discovery2 owners forums? I would also suggest asking on my local greenlaning club website as we have a lot of Discovery2's in the club - most owner seem to be in a club called the D2Boysclub - don't know if they have a website though. The greenlaning club forum is at http://www.scotgrc.co.uk/forum/index.php
We never got the 4.6L version which must have been a great motor with a tidal wave of torque, but needed an oilwell on tow behind it to provide the fuel though.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-03-2015 07:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-03-2015 07:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply