Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Build Quality
musher

Build Quality

Is it me or am I just unlucky!!

Today for the first time since the arrival of my new toy, I thought I would give it a little TLC, so being the OCD freak that I am, decided to give it a clean although it to be honest, it never needed one. Anyway whilst cleaning the inside, I've come across several marks and scratches on the plastics and a couple of annoying marks around the dash area which, I can't get rid off. It's not until you really start to look and pay a bit more attention to detail that you discover these annoying things and by the time you do, it's to late to take it back to the dealer and complain as or they will say is that the marks were not there when they had it. What I also noticed is some of the plastics look a feel like they have been put together by a 5 year old and my apologies to all those with 5 year old children.

My point is, my previous car which I had to sell to purchase my Evoque was a RR Sport and even though it was on a 05 plate, had 2 previous owners before me and was one of the earlier models built, the build quality and fittings were far superior to that of the RRE.

With the money that we have all invested in our beloved Evoques and lets face it they don't come cheap, I would still expect alot more quality for my money.

Forgot to say, still love the car though and wouldn't swap it for anything else at the moment.

MY 14 Fuji 5 Door Dynamic SD4 9 Speed Auto Box with pano roof, auto boot, Auto dimming rear view mirror, Privacy glass, Mud Flaps, Bonnet/Boot black Lettering and 5 year service plan thrown in for good measure
14-03-2012 06:53pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Vern

RE: Build Quality

Musher. Not good to hear. Can you be a little more specific about the faults and scratches and where to look for them.

I am picking my Dynamic up on Friday this week and know I am going to be blind to any small imperfections whilst drooling over my new toy.

Hope your able to sort your out.

2014 Dynamic 5dr SD4, 9 speed Auto, Indus Silver, Pano roof, Power Tailgate, Heated Stearing Wheel (brilliant ) Spare Wheel, Etc.
Traded in my 2012 model similar spec on great deal, It's that goodWink
14-03-2012 08:51pm
jrinns

The dealer probably did them, i have one on the gloss black gear surround that wasnt there after my car was prepped onsite. I think they give it a wipedown the next day and caused a few marks, should polish out when i get the time.
14-03-2012 09:12pm
Firenze

The black shiney plastic marks really easily, i just wiped some dust from the sliding door on the centre consol with a clean microfibre cloth and it left very fine scratch marks. I have used meguires gold polish on plastics like that before as it will remove light marks - although i havent tried it on the Evoque yet so will test a small area first.

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
14-03-2012 10:19pm
DT

Generally the material quality and build quality are not great. I don't think I would want to be buying a 3 year old one! I believe that most buyers have been attracted by the design, which is fantastic. My wife had been driving her VW Golf for 7 years because there was no car to come along in that time that she had any interest in(normally change after 2years) She saw the Evoque and that was it! So in summary, looks great , drives great, durabilty a concern.
14-03-2012 10:44pm
THEMACS

All this talk surprises me, from what I understand, the quality of the freelander 2 is very good as are all the other LR products, so why should the Evoque be any different, it surely must be at least as good if not better than the freelander and I don't believe they fall to bits after 3 years!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
14-03-2012 10:56pm
broady43

I had a DS3 HSE for a while and apart from it being a great car the plastics scratched very easily.

5 door Pure sd4 Tech Fuji with black roof, tinted windows, ebony seats, style 4 alloys, xenons, fogs,black grille.
Arrived 29/03/2012.
14-03-2012 11:15pm
J77

Must admit I am very impressed with the build quality of my evoque, this is my fourth LR and every time they get better. I don't have any doubts about durability and from experience I trust them not to let me down. RRE pure dosen't have the refinement of the RRS or the FFRR, to get close to that you would have to go to a prestige which is a bit more luxurious.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
14-03-2012 11:16pm
PhilSkill

Better than Freelander, there are odd bits made of plastic and a bit cheap feeling but that's to keep weight down and may need care and attention over time, so some compromises, generally it's built well and it's a 30-45k car with very clever off road capability, bargain, reliability unknown but pretty safe with the engine and gearbox combination.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-03-2012 11:38pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The interior of RRE is light years ahead of the Mk1 RRS, but LR listened to the owners posting on the forums and in 2010 the upgraded interior answered all the sore points. I have no issues at all with the interior quality of my car. It has less squeaks and rattles than my last FFRR even if the leather isn't quite as good quality or the carpet pile not quite so deep. Mk1 RRS had what Land Rover claimed was genuine wood finish on the dash, it had razor sharp edges ................. and you could see the tinplate backing in places, 2010 had superb wood-alike and the FFRR had real burr walnut trees growing on the dash!
I have found some bits mark quite easily - I have a strange mark that has appeared on the edge of the passenger door casing trim and also the drivers door casing is getting distinctly shiny where I rest my elbow and the car has only just turned 6 months old/ 6,000 miles - more a durability problem than a quality problem

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 12:00am by XFullFatTim.)
14-03-2012 11:56pm