Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Braking
funguf

Braking

Hi All,

Does anyone find that the brakes are quite weak in the Evoque? I'm finding it pretty difficult to stop quickly from high speeds (should I need to).

Thanks

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
08-09-2013 10:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Braking

No, nearly put myself through the windscreen stopping for a Freelander that decided to turn out in front of me a while ago! It stops just fine! If you hit the brakes hard enough you should be able to get the ABS to kick in, that can feel like its not stopping, but thats because you've hit the limit of traction.

Having noticed you previously had a Polo you should find a big step up in performance of brakes, but the Evoque will be a heavier car. Maybe try a test car from the dealer if you feel yours arent right.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 11:54pm by PhilSkill.)
08-09-2013 11:48pm
funguf

(08-09-2013 11:48pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  No, nearly put myself through the windscreen stopping for a Freelander that decided to turn out in front of me a while ago! It stops just fine! If you hit the brakes hard enough you should be able to get the ABS to kick in, that can feel like its not stopping, but thats because you've hit the limit of traction.

Having noticed you previously had a Polo you should find a big step up in performance of brakes, but the Evoque will be a heavier car. Maybe try a test car from the dealer if you feel yours arent right.

Will give hard braking a try later when no one is around.

I had to apply quite a lot of force when braking in the Polo, the RRE seems similar to that - granted it is a maybe double the weight. But after driving a range of 2013 VW's the brakes on the RRE don't seem to apply enough stopping power..

Though having the RRE serviced recently by a dealer I would have thought it would have been something they checked.

Could be I'm just being paranoid Very Happy

Cheers

SD4 Pure Tech Manual, 5 Door, Fuji White with Black Contrast Roof, Black Grille/Vents/Mirror Caps, Pure Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Mud Flaps.
09-09-2013 07:28am
ChuckieB

For a car so large I am very impressed with it's braking capabilities. I'm with Phil on this one.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
09-09-2013 09:52am
KaDargo

(09-09-2013 09:52am)ChuckieB Wrote:  For a car so large I am very impressed with it's braking capabilities. I'm with Phil on this one.

Very impressed - best I've ever had

I once had a Mazda 323 with drums all round, an emergency stop was more like a 'casual roll' - from 30 mph it would take about 50 yds to stop, with my foot almost through the floor - lethal !Shocked

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
09-09-2013 10:49am
RacingSnake

Agree with the above, he brakes are superb.
Might be worth popping to the dealers to get them checked out, or you test another model.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
09-09-2013 01:51pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

Braking

I went from a D4 to the Evoque and found I was left wanting when it came to braking until I figured it out..... was taken far more speed into the corners etc Wink

Somewhere in the North Sea.
09-09-2013 05:21pm
gibbyd

Braking

I think the brakes are good on my Evoque.
VW's do have fierce over servo'd brakes though, I had a Passat many years ago and it was harsh with hardly any pressure applied. You will get used to a more progressive pedal.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 07:53pm by gibbyd.)
09-09-2013 07:29pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I thought that Evoque has an emergency braking system / brake force limiting system that senses how much pressure you are applying to the pedal and then boosts the braking effect with a pressure limiting feature that activates with the ABS and switches on the hazard warning lights when it has been triggered?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 08:50am by XFullFatTim.)
10-09-2013 07:54am
slee18

The US spec doesnt do the hazard warning lights. Trust me idiots in LA traffic can do the weirdest things for no apparent reason

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
10-09-2013 06:15pm