Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brake pedal goes to floor
druand

Brake pedal goes to floor

2016 SE 180 Auto with 4000 miles. Just over 4 months old.
Normal driving brakes seem absolutely perfect. No fluid leaks and M/Cylinder level OK
When stopped at lights etc engine running and foot on brake, pedal goes to the floor in a few seconds.
No appointment till Wednesday and no courtesy car available.
Thought on calling LR Assist, they will order a hire car if vehicle is unsafe to drive.
02-09-2016 11:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Brake pedal goes to floor

If you can reproduce it easily to show them, I'd say call LRAssist, been good reports about them over dealers, and you don't want a brake failure causing an accident

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-09-2016 11:25pm
Doody

on a related note, how on earth do we use the e-brake if our master cylinder fails on the road? you just push the button and everything locks up? hardly seems safe.

2012 Prestige Premium
03-09-2016 03:11am
Steve D

The pedal going down WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING is a characteristic of ABS brakes - we even had a MOT notice to that effect and were told it is not a reason for rejection (failure) on those cars, unlike non-ABS equipped cars. Are you 100% sure it actually goes to the floor? Most stop just before the pedal touches the floor - we used to be allowed 20mm from the floor, the same as would happen if you lost fluid in one braking circuit. Check it again with the engine off - shouldn't happen then.

(03-09-2016 03:11am)Doody Wrote:  on a related note, how on earth do we use the e-brake if our master cylinder fails on the road? you just push the button and everything locks up? hardly seems safe.
Master cylinder would never fail completely on the road as it has a dual circuit - same as all cars for the last thirty years or more - I've had this happen on a couple of cars and while it feels like it's gone to the floor, it doesn't. Quite frightening the first time it happened though!

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2016 07:57am by Steve D.)
03-09-2016 07:29am
druand

I am fully aware of all Steve D has said. Though now retired I was MOT Tester for 25 years.
This characteristic was NOT present for 4000 miles then suddenly started to happen even sitting at a junction for 5-10 seconds pedal was on the floor.
My partner is now unwilling to drive the vehicle.
I am aware of "emergency brake assist system" and know they operate differently from older servo assisted systems.
03-09-2016 07:34pm