Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?
KaDargo

RE: Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?

Once people start upgrading to Windows 8 on their PC's or start buying the new tablets, the perception of the phones will change significantly.

There is seamless integration between the devices, withe Office apps, whether on the PC, phone, cloud.

There also seems to be a consensus that it could kill the BB as a business phone

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
03-10-2012 08:51am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pepster

I've just upgraded to the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think it is a great phone running a good alternative to the grid based iOS and Android. When I took delivery of my evoque I had an Android device. The dealer looked confused at it not sure if it would connect via bluetooth. It did. It was brilliant. I especially liked the ability to browse my contacts through the car and see who was calling me. Incredible.

Not so with the Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone. I can connect to the car but the contacts are not available. This makes it near on impossible to dial anyone as who remembers numbers these days? This is the only limitation I have found with the evoque paired with a Windows phone 8 device.... not really a limitation of the evoque but something to bear in mind.

Has anyone managed to see their contacts in the car after connecting their Windows Phone 8 device to their evoque? If so please let me know...

TIA.
04-01-2013 12:56am
Easty

Re: Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?

Perfect phone for the evoque is the sony xperia active. Not sure they sell them anymore. Its completely open fully syncd android os and works underwater. Smile plus its no picture frame in your pocket. I like the windows phones but if your already used google contacts ,mail,cal,docs then the auto sync has veen around for years.
04-01-2013 01:20am
KaDargo

(04-01-2013 12:56am)pepster Wrote:  I've just upgraded to the Nokia Lumia 920 and I think it is a great phone running a good alternative to the grid based iOS and Android. When I took delivery of my evoque I had an Android device. The dealer looked confused at it not sure if it would connect via bluetooth. It did. It was brilliant. I especially liked the ability to browse my contacts through the car and see who was calling me. Incredible.

Not so with the Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone. I can connect to the car but the contacts are not available. This makes it near on impossible to dial anyone as who remembers numbers these days? This is the only limitation I have found with the evoque paired with a Windows phone 8 device.... not really a limitation of the evoque but something to bear in mind.

Has anyone managed to see their contacts in the car after connecting their Windows Phone 8 device to their evoque? If so please let me know...

TIA.

I have an HTC Mozart W8 (upgrading to 920 when contract expires) and the contacts are available - the phone worked seamlessly from day 1

SD4 Prestige, Mauritius, Element, Cirrus Headlining, Pana Roof, Park Assist, Heated Steering Wheel,Blind Spot monitor, 20" Alloys, Powered Tailgate
04-01-2013 11:44am
tetstb

I have an HTC 8X and it works perfectly, voice integration is great. I am an Apple fan but I have to admit the 8X is a decent phone

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
04-01-2013 01:09pm
RacingSnake

(04-01-2013 12:56am)pepster Wrote:  Not so with the Lumia 920 Windows 8 phone.....
My lumia 920 has worked perfectly (including contact lists) from Day 1 (about 2 months ago).

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
04-01-2013 03:41pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
confoederatius

My WP 7.5 works also perfectly. But I remember it took quite some time to synchronize thephone book the first time. I paired the phone three times and then just left it (car and phone running) and after some 10 minutes the contacts were synced.

Freelander 2 TD4 SE MY13
fuji white, manual gearbox, rearview cam, heated windscreen/steering wheel/front seats/jets, satnav, xenon
05-01-2013 10:25am
same2you

(04-01-2013 03:41pm)RacingSnake Wrote:  My lumia 920 has worked perfectly (including contact lists) from Day 1 (about 2 months ago).
Hi RacingSnake, I have the Lumia 900, and the only thing that I cannot seem to get working is the Text to Speech for SMS. I have it working on other Bluetooth systems so I know it is configured correctly, but it will not work when I pair it with the Evoque. Just wondering if that is indeed working for you as I am considering the upgrade to the Lumia920, and that would seal the deal.
06-01-2013 03:39am
RacingSnake

I'll test it out..... how do I activate that?! lol

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
06-01-2013 10:26am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
same2you

(06-01-2013 10:26am)RacingSnake Wrote:  I'll test it out..... how do I activate that?! lol

This is actually one of those really cool features of the phone that a lot of people don't know about... On the phone, go to settings, speech, then at the bottom slide "Play Audio Confirmations" to "on" (if it isn't already), then select "always on" from the drop down list that appears below that (Typically you would just select Bluetooth only, but since you have not tried the feature yet, this will allow you to see it working without the car involved as a test).

It's now activated... before going to the car, have someone text you, and the phone should ask you to "read it, or ignore". Say "read it" and it will dictate the text message to you. Once it is finished dictating the message, it will ask you to say "reply, call, or I'm done". You can then dictate a message back to the sender that the phone will translate into text. Now that you know that it works, and what to expect, head over to the car and see if it starts to announce text messages to you over Bluetooth.

This feature works perfectly on BMW's, Saab's, etc... even my wife's Ford... but it doesn't seem to work on my Evoque. I REALLY miss this feature as I receive a ton of texts, and being able to reply to them by dictating to the phone (and keeping my hands/eyes on the wheel) has been a lifesaver in the past (literally).

Cheers!
06-01-2013 03:01pm