Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?
Urban Splash

Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?

Hi all,

I'm currently in the huff with Apple. New iOS fails to excite anymore. Update to iOS6 lost my photos and we all know how poor the maps app is. iPhone 5 not particularly blowing my skirt up. Not much innovation going on. Don't suppose they need to when people queue to get one anyway. Can't help but feel they are treading water....

As such, I'm looking at a Nokia Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. Anyone know how windows phone plays with the evoque system please. Is all the bluetooth integration there? I primarily use the phone and stream from Spotify. I know there is a windows phone spotify app, but not sure if it works with the car....

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
22-09-2012 09:59am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Bored of iPhone - anyone know if Windows Phone works?

no, but the lumia 920 isn't out yet (November is the latest date I heard).
I'm due for an upgrade and this is what I'm waiting for.

Bluetooth will work for the phone (can't comment on music streaming - but I don't see why not). The only obvservation I've seen on the 920 is that (for some reason), they're only running Bluetooth 3.1, not bluetooth 4. In real terms, I don't know what that means.

My missus has the lumia 710, so we can test out the bluetooth streaming from that one, but it'll have to wait until monday as I'm in spain at the moment Very Happy

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
22-09-2012 12:17pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Straydox

From all the accounts I've read and some close professional links with Microsoft itself I hear the latest Windows phone is a pretty decent effort - I'd be surprised if you couldn't stream Bluetooth music (crikey you can even do it an Evoque using a Blackberry so the technology bar must be pretty low!).

Take a look at the Samsung S3 too - that's the target Apple should have been aiming at from a technology standpoint - going legal was probably cheaper.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
22-09-2012 01:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I'll be staying with my iPhone4 with IOS6 for a while, was in the local O2 store today and don't think the cost of iPhone 5 is in any way justified and it certainly isn't a great techno advance I thought it was going to be, in fact in some respects iPhone5 is really a step backwards as you loose the google stuff and it is replaced with far inferior Apple apps

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2012 02:08pm by XFullFatTim.)
22-09-2012 02:07pm
Coolbanana

(22-09-2012 02:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I'll be staying with my iPhone4 with IOS6 for a while, was in the local O2 store today and don't think the cost of iPhone 5 is in any way justified and it certainly isn't a great techno advance I thought it was going to be, in fact in some respects iPhone5 is really a step backwards as you loose the google stuff and it is replaced with far inferior Apple apps

I agree that the 5 isn't a great leap forward - but it makes just enough of an evolutionary step to be justified in my opinion. It looks better - subjective, I know - is noticeably faster when using apps and the one app that is an issue is a non-issue really given that it is covered by free third party apps anyway. I can't see it remaining an issue for too long anyway.

The Samsung and Nokia offerings look to offer more tech - personally, I don't need the extra tech, I'll always choose the device that functions best in my hand at the core functions and looks and feels best and I much prefer the metal body to plastic.

The Siri function is useless to me though - it doesn't understand me! Laughing My step-daughter is called Siri (Danish name) so she insisted I choose a female voice but I'll not be using it much, if at all.

In terms of cost, the recycling of the iPhone 4 covers much of the upgrade cost. In my case, I received another £36 off the new handset because they couldn't supply me with the black I pre-ordered yesterday so offered a white with the saving - which I grabbed since I like both black and white. So to upgrade cost me £24...

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
22-09-2012 02:24pm
Izzy

The main reason to jump to the iPhone 5 would be 4G LTE for us in the US. However, 3rd party benchmarks have shown internal upgrades that might be justifiable for some.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp

As for OP: I believe full BT integration is available for Windows phones(I have a vague memory of reading about this issue somewhere).
22-09-2012 05:43pm
Urban Splash

Thanks all. I can rely on this forum to provide prompt responses.

Snake, I find it awfully selfish that you are currently in Spain. I demand you return at once and test windows phone for streaming! Smile

Seriously though, thanks peeps... Smile

Delivered: Evoque 5 door Prestige SD4 Auto 4WD, Orkney Grey, Fixed Panoramic Roof, Ivory Headliner, Vibe Interior, Spare wheel, 20" Chrome Shadow Style 7
22-09-2012 05:58pm
mark_n

FWIW, I'm very pleased with my iPhone 5, though Apple do need to sort out the Maps App. Steve Jobs would be spitting tacks if he was still with us.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
23-09-2012 09:32am
Wicksy

(22-09-2012 09:59am)Urban Splash Wrote:  Hi all,

I'm currently in the huff with Apple. New iOS fails to excite anymore. Update to iOS6 lost my photos and we all know how poor the maps app is. iPhone 5 not particularly blowing my skirt up. Not much innovation going on. Don't suppose they need to when people queue to get one anyway. Can't help but feel they are treading water....

As such, I'm looking at a Nokia Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. Anyone know how windows phone plays with the evoque system please. Is all the bluetooth integration there? I primarily use the phone and stream from Spotify. I know there is a windows phone spotify app, but not sure if it works with the car....

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.
I have the Lumia and it works with the Evoque seamlessly, Urban, no problems at allCool
23-09-2012 06:13pm
Urban Splash

Awesome! Thanks for this. If MS would just hurry up and get Windows Phone 8 released!

23-09-2012 08:54pm