Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boot Release hwilst driving under 5mph - not a good safety feature
Hellzbellz

Boot Release hwilst driving under 5mph - not a good safety feature

Hi,

I have just discovered that the boot release operates at under 5mph - why anyone would want their boot to open whilst still moving is beyond me!!
The issue I have is that my dog travels in my boot and there is the potential to accidentally bump the boot release as its just at right knee.
Does anyone know of a recode etc. to control the boor release so that it will only open then vehicle is in 'park' on automatic gearbox.
It seems to me that the boot release is not set up for the auto gearbox as it would seem to not recognise what gear it's in - probably so there is no extra feature for the Automatic gear box (don't think computer would recognise what gear manual is in and same system used for both)
I am terrified I will be at a set of traffic lights and the tailgate will go up and my dog will escape!
I have looked at cages and tail gate guards and nothing fits the evoque - unless I want to fold my poor dog before fitting her in.
Called dealership and they said that it should not open unless in park/neutral - but the manual states differently - dealership should read their own manuals!
I have heard other people on forums stating that their boot opens by itself !!
If anyone knows if this can be reprogrammed - please, please let me know
thanks
27-07-2016 06:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Boot Release hwilst driving under 5mph - not a good safety feature

I've never had it open whilst moving, I have banged my knee on the dash button, but only whilst getting in or out so not while moving.
I Don't think there is any way to disable the boot from opening though.

If you are really that worried maybe you could get the dash button disconnected?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
27-07-2016 09:38pm
xoz

Wouldn't the auto lock disable boot opening? In menu you can set the auto door lock, mine is auto at 5km/hr, haven't checked if there is a lower speed setting. It's to prevent car jacking at traffic lights/safety. My car is manual.

MY12 SD4 Coupe Fiji White. Manual
28-07-2016 12:52am
Steve D

I have accidentally hit that button too when getting in (didn't even know it was there until I hit it with my knee!). We have a cage for our dog purely to keep it safe in accident if the boot popped open as well as to prevent it possibly dashing out when opening the tailgate. What size dog do you have? Here's my cage but you can get cages that fill the complete boot area.
[Image: C521089A-443F-4283-9C42-2288BFBD700B_zpsrv6updyk.jpg]

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
28-07-2016 06:56am
Hellzbellz

Thanks SteveD
Think I would need a cage for the whole boot - when standing her head is grazing the roof!
Looks a great cage - so pleased someone else knows about this - I think it should only operate when electric handbrake on the it covers manual & auto gears.
Lovely dogs - is that a chocolate lab in there too?! Smile

Still trying to add photo!!!!

???
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 08:36pm by Hellzbellz.)
28-07-2016 08:25pm
Steve D

That's just an off-the-shelf crate but you can get custom made/ready made ones specifically for the Evoque that will certainly be big enough for your dog. That's just a Cocker Spaniel and a Shih-Tzu in there.

To post pictures you need to upload them to a Photobucket account and cut and paste the code into your post.

Santorini SD4A Dynamic Lux with shadow chromes, ebony leather and privacy glass. Very Happy
28-07-2016 09:46pm