Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Blackberry Z10 and pairing
scrannel

Blackberry Z10 and pairing

I know you UK guys and gals are some of the first to get the new Blackberry 10 series phones. If anyone here has one, how is the pairing with the Evoque going? Thanks

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
08-02-2013 05:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DustinDep

RE: Blackberry Z10 and pairing

Paired Just fine! But i dunno if youd want one! lol check these out

08-02-2013 10:05am
scrannel

(08-02-2013 10:05am)DustinDep Wrote:  Paired Just fine! But i dunno if youd want one! lol check these out

Dustin, thanks. I'm with T-Mo USA (which has never had iPhone, but may be getting it... sometime) and looking for an alternative to Android. The kicker for me is whether or no Z10 will have Wifi-calling, probably the IMS version, though others are still using the tried and true UMA (Rogers of Canada etc.). I think, even if T-Mo gets iPhone, it unlikely they'll sort wifi-calling for such a proprietary device. Thanks for the vids!

2013 Dynamic USA specs with MagneRide + Strata wood int. with Lunar perf. Ork Grey.
BMW K1200R. Black.
08-02-2013 08:00pm
DustinDep

(08-02-2013 08:00pm)scrannel Wrote:  Dustin, thanks. I'm with T-Mo USA (which has never had iPhone, but may be getting it... sometime) and looking for an alternative to Android. The kicker for me is whether or no Z10 will have Wifi-calling, probably the IMS version, though others are still using the tried and true UMA (Rogers of Canada etc.). I think, even if T-Mo gets iPhone, it unlikely they'll sort wifi-calling for such a proprietary device. Thanks for the vids!

On the iPhone you can use google voice for wifi calling plus there are hundreds of other apps that do it as well
09-02-2013 10:29am
scrannel

(09-02-2013 10:29am)DustinDep Wrote:  On the iPhone you can use google voice for wifi calling plus there are hundreds of other apps that do it as well

Right, but as I'm sure you know, it's not the same. Wifi-calling is free as wifi is used to connect you to your home cell network, and now doesn't even count against your minutes. Plus -- and this is a big plus for me -- I can use my cell number. So, when I'm in Rome on hotel wifi (for example), anyone in LA can easily reach me by calling my number.

Plus when I'm home, on wifi, all my calls are free. No limit.

BMW K1200R. Black.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 06:21pm by scrannel.)
09-02-2013 06:02pm
mickydd

(08-02-2013 08:00pm)scrannel Wrote:  Dustin, thanks. I'm with T-Mo USA (which has never had iPhone, but may be getting it... sometime) and looking for an alternative to Android. The kicker for me is whether or no Z10 will have Wifi-calling, probably the IMS version, though others are still using the tried and true UMA (Rogers of Canada etc.). I think, even if T-Mo gets iPhone, it unlikely they'll sort wifi-calling for such a proprietary device. Thanks for the vids!

Looks as if the list of Wifi-calling devices is pretty limited. See link below of enabled devices.

http://www.wificalling.net/devices/

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 10:37pm by mickydd.)
09-02-2013 10:37pm
scrannel

(09-02-2013 10:37pm)mickydd Wrote:  Looks as if the list of Wifi-calling devices is pretty limited. See link below of enabled devices.

http://www.wificalling.net/devices/

That list is far from complete. Actually, it's carrier dependent. In the US, T-Mo is the largest carrier with wifi-calling and almost every android (if not all) and every BBerry device they sell uses it. Rogers of Canada; Wind Mobile; and Cincinnati Bell -- which all use the same basic frequency set as T-Mo (and frequency seems to be important) -- have wifi-calling. In other words, you can't just go out and buy a wifi-calling enabled phone and use it on any network. They have to be designed for the network.

UMA was the original wifi-calling, and T-Mo had it on BBerrys and some Nokia phones for years. But as UMA required a hardware enhancement, T-Mo eventually switched over to Kineto. Their Android phones worked on this, BBerry on UMA. This meant that Android phones (on T-MO) could be upgraded to wifi-calling with an OTA software patch to Kineto. Now T-Mo has switched to IMS which still allows a phone to use wifi-calling w/o hardware enhancement. Wind, Rogers and Cincinnati Bell have stuck with UMA, I believe.

The biggest advantage of UMA is if you transition from an area with wifi to one w/o, your phone will pick up the cell network w/o dropping the call. Kineto and IMS can't do this. However, in theory, IMS and Kineto can be applied to nearly any phone.

Some US business rely pretty heavily on this service, and I have friends (w/BBerrys using UMA on T-MO) who no longer have land lines, because they don't even have to depend on getting strong cell signals (or ANY cell signal for that matter). If it's on the Z10, that's my next phone.

BMW K1200R. Black.
10-02-2013 05:55pm