Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?
MrHooky

Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?

Car was delivered last Thurs with 7 miles on the clock. I then cleaned on Monday by hand and after drying noticed the passenger side black gloss trim on the rear had some fine scratches/swirls. I used some g techniq P1 on a hard hand polishing pad and it seemed to get them out pretty easily although it was getting dark so didn’t spend much time on it.

My question is – should I be using P1 on the trim? Has anyone else had trouble with these being lightly scratched? Not wanting to have to polish them every time I wash the car so hoping a good P1 hand polish should sort them then just be careful when cleaning in the future.

Thoughts appreciated.

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
26-04-2012 05:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?

(26-04-2012 05:27pm)MrHooky Wrote:  Car was delivered last Thurs with 7 miles on the clock. I then cleaned on Monday by hand and after drying noticed the passenger side black gloss trim on the rear had some fine scratches/swirls. I used some g techniq P1 on a hard hand polishing pad and it seemed to get them out pretty easily although it was getting dark so didn’t spend much time on it.

My question is – should I be using P1 on the trim? Has anyone else had trouble with these being lightly scratched? Not wanting to have to polish them every time I wash the car so hoping a good P1 hand polish should sort them then just be careful when cleaning in the future.

Thoughts appreciated.

The material is very soft, and mine had swirls on after the PDI. If you look after them properly, it shouldn't happen as bad again.
26-04-2012 05:50pm
PhilSkill

How about putting C1.5 on it after using the P1 to your satisfaction, give it some protection. I've Carnauba waxed mine for now.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
26-04-2012 09:16pm
spatel100

(26-04-2012 09:16pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  How about putting C1.5 on it after using the P1 to your satisfaction, give it some protection. I've Carnauba waxed mine for now.

I picked up my car about 2 months ago and noticed light scratches on the black gloss window trims too, all over. Haven't washed car since I picked it up from the Dealer. Took it back to the dealer to see why this would have happeend. They have no idea why this would have happened and this is not covered in the warranty of the car. Very dissapointing as the scratches are all over and this is a brand new car worth alot of money.
The dealer has agreed to take this report to Land Rover and see if they have experienced this with other buyers/cars.
Has anyone else had the same problem?
30-04-2012 10:54am
doug

I'm still running some tests on a some old gloss plastic for the best way to treat & seal. But it's looking like Menzerna FF3000 (finishing compound, which was very little cutting action) using a DA machine & a finishing pad to remove light swirl marks. Gtechinq P1 is too coarse & P2 still left machine marks. Plastic headlight restoreing products are fine on clear plastic but this soft gloss finish plastic which most cars have now ( just try cleaning a Audi front grille ) are too soft for this type of product.
Haven't come up with any way as yet to treat the trim by hand which still doesn't show cop webbing under a sun gun.
As for looking after the plastic, lambs wool mitt for washing & super soft drying towel etc....

I always remember seeing a Evoque in my local dealers showroom on the first day, under some GU10 lights. Thinking to myself s##t, the swirling looked like a record ,why have RR used this type if finish on a high end vehicle made to go off road.

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
30-04-2012 11:10am
MrHooky

Re: Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?

Loving the fact that spate still hasn't cleaned the car in 2 months!

About P1 - are you suggesting ill be doing more damage than good by using it? After 30 seconds or so a lot of the light scratches had gone!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
30-04-2012 11:30am
doug

(30-04-2012 11:30am)MrHooky Wrote:  About P1 - are you suggesting ill be doing more damage than good by using it? After 30 seconds or so a lot of the light scratches had gone!

P1 was made to be used by machine with a wool pad, for cutting back light scratches & removal of swirl marks left by poor washing. P2 is more of a finishing compound, ideal on a new car.
Haven't said that, P1 can also be used by hand with a form hand polisher. But for me, using it on plastic made very,very light marks which can be seen under a sun gun or bright sunlight. But left a finish which under normal light was very good.
Don't forget, these products are made to remove paint. Working with plastic is a different ball game. For me, a very fine compound/glaze with no cutting action, but working at speed removes light swirling the best.
Other cars mite have the type of plastic on window trims etc, but as the Evoque has so much of plastic on show it's going to be a nightmare for keeping it mark free.
But as I said, I'm still carrying out some tests.

(This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 12:24pm by doug.)
30-04-2012 12:20pm
MrHooky

Re: Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?

Thanks for that Doug. Until I purchase a machine polisher ill have to make do with elbow grease and P1. I'm hoping they don't picky up too many more scratches so I shouldn't have to polish too often...

As for P1, i thought it was also good on carbon fibre, fibreglass etc hence i didn't hesitate when taking it to the plastic trim!

Delivered 19/04/12
30-04-2012 03:09pm
doug

(30-04-2012 03:09pm)MrHooky Wrote:  Thanks for that Doug. Until I purchase a machine polisher ill have to make do with elbow grease and P1. I'm hoping they don't picky up too many more scratches so I shouldn't have to polish too often...

As for P1, i thought it was also good on carbon fibre, fibreglass etc hence i didn't hesitate when taking it to the plastic trim!

these have a lacquer over the material, so you can correct any damage on the lacquer suface.

30-04-2012 03:19pm
WB
WB

(30-04-2012 10:54am)spatel100 Wrote:  I picked up my car about 2 months ago and noticed light scratches on the black gloss window trims too, all over. Haven't washed car since I picked it up from the Dealer. Took it back to the dealer to see why this would have happeend. They have no idea why this would have happened and this is not covered in the warranty of the car. Very dissapointing as the scratches are all over and this is a brand new car worth alot of money.
The dealer has agreed to take this report to Land Rover and see if they have experienced this with other buyers/cars.
Has anyone else had the same problem?

Its clearly not a good finish on the gloss black parts from LR so how they can say its not covered by warranty is beyond me! I suggest you take it up with LR customer services.
30-04-2012 04:28pm