Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Black gloss window trim scratches – solution?

I find this an interesting problem - my car is probably the oldest one on the forum and today I looked at the glossy panels and there isn't one scratch on them. My car is never detailed, it is snow foamed, gone over with a "brush" of micro fibre and the hot pressure washer rinsed or hand washed using the garden hose, micro fibre block with Zip Nano carwash detergent and then rinsed off with cold water from the garden hose. It doesn't get all this heavy washing and polishing and doesn't have a single swirl or scratch on the window surrounds................... My theory is that when the car was Gard-X treated the sealer has given a very good seal to the gloss black.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-04-2012 05:30pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3V0QU3

I Had the same with mine, picked it up 4 weeks ago and the black panels were completely covered in fine scratches.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige Lux + AD + Black Roof Lining + Heated Steering Wheel
Arrived 27/03/12
Very Happy
30-04-2012 06:16pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Oldest RRE on the forum and I have no scratches on the glossy bits, you cleaning fetishists are wearing them out! Mine is GardX treated..................I wonder if that helps seal them?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2012 06:37pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-04-2012 06:36pm
doug

It all depends on the light if they show up. Try using a bright tourch (not LED) about 6inchs away from the side trim by the rear window & then tell me you have no swirls Very Happy

[Image: mini-graphics-vehicles-244162.gif] ABOVE AND BEYOND
RRE sold after 5 happy years. Jag F-Pace owner now
30-04-2012 07:15pm
Evo-king

(30-04-2012 05:30pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I find this an interesting problem - my car is probably the oldest one on the forum and today I looked at the glossy panels and there isn't one scratch on them. My car is never detailed, it is snow foamed, gone over with a "brush" of micro fibre and the hot pressure washer rinsed or hand washed using the garden hose, micro fibre block with Zip Nano carwash detergent and then rinsed off with cold water from the garden hose. It doesn't get all this heavy washing and polishing and doesn't have a single swirl or scratch on the window surrounds................... My theory is that when the car was Gard-X treated the sealer has given a very good seal to the gloss black.

I would treat my car in a similar way to you Tim, car is going in on Wednesday for a full day new car detail with G Techniq authorised detailer and will be discussing this issue.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
30-04-2012 07:39pm
Donny Dog

I think a lot depends on how the dealer turned the car out in the first place. If it were fairly carelessly washed at PDI, scratching these 'soft' panels would be easy. Mine certainly had minor swirls when I received it, although you have to look hard to spot them, and it doesn't bother me. However, I've certainly not added any more myself with the washing technique I use. Obviously careless washing by the owner would have the same effect as what some dealers contrive to do.
30-04-2012 10:17pm
BTS18

(30-04-2012 10:17pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  I think a lot depends on how the dealer turned the car out in the first place. If it were fairly carelessly washed at PDI, scratching these 'soft' panels would be easy. Mine certainly had minor swirls when I received it, although you have to look hard to spot them, and it doesn't bother me. However, I've certainly not added any more myself with the washing technique I use. Obviously careless washing by the owner would have the same effect as what some dealers contrive to do.

Had a report from the detailer today, I asked if he had any problems.

He said that the black plastic door pillars were "as soft as butter" and they will be impossible to keep clear of scratches. He even took off the white plastic protection himself and still had work to do to make them look good. So goodness knows whaat they would be like after the dealers car washers have done they worst.

5dr Prestige SD4 Auto, Style 5 Wheels, Orkney Grey, Element Interior, Cirrus Headliner, Lux pk, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Spare Wheel.

Ordered: 07/02/12. Build Date: 21/04/12. Delivered: 27/04/12
30-04-2012 10:49pm
zambiaman

Hi I also have a similar problem on mine. I shall not use any products incase the black glass reacts and something goes wrong - if someone has a very mild product please let's us know Smile thanks

Arrow SD4 5dr Dynamic
Adaptive Dynamics, Pano roof, 20" style 6, blind spot, power tailgate
Cyprus based
01-05-2012 05:30pm
lngrn36

I've been using this product with great results.

3M Scratch Removal Kit

Dewalt Cordless Drill 2000 rpm or less!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
01-05-2012 06:02pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rootsboy

I asked my car not to be washed by the dealer but I still had swirls and scratches on the black pillars on one side.
I polished them out a few months back but they are still so easy to mark.
I'm slowly re-polishing the car in sections and putting the g techniq c1+ sealant on. I think I will put at least 2 or 3 coats of it on the black pillars to see if that will help with keeping them scratch free

SD4 Prestige 5 Door Manual. Fuji White. 20" Style 6 Wheels. Vibe-Ebony Interior and Header. Panoramic Roof. AD. Privacy and Solar Attenuating Glass. Surround Camera, Heated Seats. Pollution Sensor. Rear Vents. 825W Sound and a Spare Wheel
02-05-2012 09:40pm