Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Bike rack / tow-bar advice needed please!
MrHooky

Some help needed please!

We have a five door Pure with glass roof and currently no tow-bar fitted. I want to know the best way of transporting 3-4 bikes around. I’ve discounted putting a strap carrier on the back as I’ve found they can mark the paint, plus my wife’s frame and my son’s (16” BMX) don’t fit on them properly. Therefore looking for one which the wheels strap into.

My gut feel is to get one that fits to a tow-bar as opposed to roof mounting, as it’d be a pain lifting three bikes high up on to the Evoque’s roof – it’s just an accident waiting to happen.

Thing is, I don’t want the tow-bar permanently on show. Can you get retractable tow-bars and if so how much am I looking at fitted?

Again, can anyone recommend a good tow-bar based bike carrier for carrying 3/4 bikes – two adults and one/two kids?

Thanks in advance.

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
16-01-2013 02:45pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
daveo

RE: Bike rack / tow-bar advice needed please!

Thule roof bars with evoque foot pack! they do the right fittings for the glass roof and the system is awesome and removable in a few minutes! Maybe cheaper and less messy than a towbar!
16-01-2013 06:20pm
MrHooky

Re: RE: Bike rack / tow-bar advice needed please!

(16-01-2013 06:20pm)daveo Wrote:  Thule roof bars with evoque foot pack! they do the right fittings for the glass roof and the system is awesome and removable in a few minutes! Maybe cheaper and less messy than a towbar!

That's great thanks I'll take a look. Given I intend on zero actual towing this could be the better option!

Fuji Pure eD4 5dr | Fogs | Panoramic | 19" Diamond Polished | Ordered June 11 - Expected May 12
Delivered 19/04/12
16-01-2013 10:03pm
cutter7

(16-01-2013 02:45pm)MrHooky Wrote:  Some help needed please!

We have a five door Pure with glass roof and currently no tow-bar fitted. I want to know the best way of transporting 3-4 bikes around. I’ve discounted putting a strap carrier on the back as I’ve found they can mark the paint, plus my wife’s frame and my son’s (16” BMX) don’t fit on them properly. Therefore looking for one which the wheels strap into.

My gut feel is to get one that fits to a tow-bar as opposed to roof mounting, as it’d be a pain lifting three bikes high up on to the Evoque’s roof – it’s just an accident waiting to happen.

Thing is, I don’t want the tow-bar permanently on show. Can you get retractable tow-bars and if so how much am I looking at fitted?

Again, can anyone recommend a good tow-bar based bike carrier for carrying 3/4 bikes – two adults and one/two kids?

Thanks in advance.

I use this bike carrier made by Thule on my retractable tow bar.

Once bolted onto the tow-bar it's very rigid and holds 3-4 adult bikes very safely, but it's probably more expensive with the tow-bar fitting costs, and price of the bike rack etc, than the roof option.

I also use a trailer as well, so that's why I went for the tow-bar option.

[Image: y4u9agas.jpg]
[Image: uhuha2uz.jpg]
[Image: na5utyda.jpg]

16-01-2013 10:23pm
IvorRedOne

(16-01-2013 02:45pm)MrHooky Wrote:  Some help needed please!

Thanks in advance.

After careful consideration I chose a Mortez 4 Bike carrier over the Thule carrier. Both do exactly the same job yet one is £300 cheaper.
Carrier Snaps onto my Witter Removable Tow Bar with ease and also has tilt mechanism for Boot access. Weighs 25kg when assembled and safely carries up to 60kg though am sure
it will carry more weight. 7 pin connection for lights. Light strip with numberplate inclusive.

Save yourselves a shed load of hard earned cash and ditch the Thule for the Mortez unless your bothered by the brand name...

Couple of pics I'd like to share: If you want anymore info just PM me.

[Image: 201212161330171600x1200.jpg]

[Image: 201212161330261600x1200.jpg]

[Image: p92006391600x1200.jpg]

[Image: p92006441600x1200.jpg]

[Image: p92006431600x1200.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 12:06am by IvorRedOne.)
17-01-2013 12:05am
ED209

I had a towbar fitted just for this purpose, and bought a good quality 3 bike rack (i cannot rememebr the brand off the top of my head) cost just under £400 all in.

pics here http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Few-pics-...ack-fitted

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
17-01-2013 10:31am