Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best Discovery so far...
Token

Best Discovery so far...

So...I was bored with work and decided I needed a break...and how better to spend a break than playing with the Evoque!

There has been a lot of talk about Keyless Entry and please god let's not go back over old ground, however, I have made a discovery that is related to Keyless Entry that I'm not sure I've seen discussed before.

For those of us that don't want to keep the key in our pocket whilst driving (no comments please, let's just accept that some of us don't have as much spare room in our pockets as others!) there is a risk that you can lock yourself out of the car...or is there?? So...I set about doing some testing...here are the results:

Test 1: Put keys in car, and try locking the car by touching the door handle
Result 1: Car doesn't lock...you are not locked out

Test 2: Put keys in car, and lock the car using a second key fob...then try unlocking by touching the handle with the second set out of range
Result 2: Car would lock with keys in the car, and would then unlock by touching the handle

Note: Slightly pointless test as scenario wouldn't occur...but the idea was to see that if somehow the car could get locked with keys inside it (i.e. automatically lock after a period of time) could it be unlocked with the keys inside...answer, no.

Test 3: Leave car unlocked with keys inside to see if the car automatically locks
Result 3: Car does not lock itself

So...by this point I have established that I can't lock the keys in the car...but, it suddenly occured to me that I normally open the boot to put my briefcase in there before unlocking the whole car...quite often I take my jacket off at the same time, and whilst doing that, I have a tendancy to put the keys down (in the boot) whilst doing it...this is how I have previously locked keys inside a car!! So...time to test it...already knowing what is going to happen (sadly!)

Test 4: Place keys in boot...press the Electric Close button on the Tailgate...and wait to be locked out!!
Result 4: Tailgate touches down...the car then beeps twice (instead of once) to indicate that it is not happy and that you should stop walking away!! It then automatically re-opens!!

I bloody love this!! My favourite thing about the car so far!

So...test result is that you cannot lock yourself out of your car!!! I don't think!!

Hoep this is interesting!

P.S. Not sure what happens with a non-electric Tailgate

Evoque Coupe 2.2 SD4 Dynamic LUX 190HP (in some kind of grey!)

[Image: event.png]
02-12-2011 02:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ezandania

RE: Best Discovery so far...

+1 Definitely a good way to spend a break! It's like an episode of MythBusters!!

2012 Evoque Dynamic Si4 Auto, Fuji White/Agility Dynamic Plus, 20" Style 6's, Panoramic Roof, Keyless Entry, Power Tailgate, Surround Cameras, 825W Meridian Sound, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenon HIDs
2003 Mini Cooper S
1999 Honda S2000
02-12-2011 02:40pm
alibeau

Hi Token,

Oh I am so jealous that you are having such a good time, not long now though for me.....

Hubby has a new RRS with the 'same' keyless stop/start/entry and electric tailgate..... with regard to Test 4, he did put his keys in the boot, in a sports bag, closed the electric tailgate and his RRS completely locked him out Laughing Don't really know why I am laughing as I had to go and rescue him with the spare key.

LR investigated the above and just reported back that it was a fault Rolling Eyes Laughing

Glad to hear all your tests went well and keep the info coming, it's a joy to read whilst waiting for my car to arrive Very Happy

Ali.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2011 02:51pm by alibeau.)
02-12-2011 02:50pm
LDT

(02-12-2011 02:36pm)Token Wrote:  So...I was bored with work and decided I needed a break...and how better to spend a break than playing with the Evoque!

I want to work with you! Smile

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
02-12-2011 03:37pm
Rossy100

Best Discovery so far...

Is there any scenario in which the doors WILL auto lock?
02-12-2011 03:56pm
Alex

What happens if the key is not in the pocket of the driver but the passenger, and the passenger gets out while the vehicle is running. Can the driver drive off, if so what is the system to inform the driver the key is no longer in the vehicle?

This has happened in our keyless car, and my wife dropped me off at work and I got out with the keyless key in my pocket and she drove off. The car had a very poor warning system and she didn't notice anything, none the less I had to get a taxi over to where she ended up parking as she couldn't obviously start the vehicle again.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
02-12-2011 04:58pm
DDX

Best Discovery so far...

Test 5: does Token have faaaaar too much time on his hands?

Result 5: yes

Very Happy

Just kidding mate, thanks for sharing the info. Can't wait to make some of these discoveries myself

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
02-12-2011 05:41pm
evoque_virgin

(02-12-2011 04:58pm)Alex Wrote:  What happens if the key is not in the pocket of the driver but the passenger, and the passenger gets out while the vehicle is running. Can the driver drive off, if so what is the system to inform the driver the key is no longer in the vehicle?

This has happened in our keyless car, and my wife dropped me off at work and I got out with the keyless key in my pocket and she drove off. The car had a very poor warning system and she didn't notice anything, none the less I had to get a taxi over to where she ended up parking as she couldn't obviously start the vehicle again.

Engine stays running, you can drive off but its says in the instrument cluster smart key not present (or found) can't remember which.

Not sure what happens about switching off once you've driven off from the smart key, never tried this.
02-12-2011 06:06pm
anton

Question,If the keys are in the car with you at the wheel and you stop at some traffic lights can some undesirable person touch the door handle and get in your car and hijack your vehicle?
02-12-2011 06:40pm
Alex

(02-12-2011 06:40pm)anton Wrote:  Question,If the keys are in the car with you at the wheel and you stop at some traffic lights can some undesirable person touch the door handle and get in your car and hijack your vehicle?

I would imagine you can over ride and lock the vehicle from the inside?

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
02-12-2011 07:00pm