BMW X5 30d
BMW X5 40d
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
BMW X5 or Range Rover Sport
memota

OK, so a while ago I decided not to get an Evoque but have been lurking here regularly out of interest. The main reasons was that I decided I'd like a bigger car.

Given the collective knowledge here I thought I'd throw this question out: BMW X5 or RRS?

In Australia prices can be a bit funny, so the choice are either RRS V6 diesel Luxury, BMW X5 30d, or maybe BMW X5 40d.

Any views on which way to go? I'll be on-road (maybe I'd give the Sport a few goes off road to see if I caught the bug). No kids to lug around.

I'd be buying new.

So, any thoughts please?
08-03-2012 05:31am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sethor

RE: BMW X5 or Range Rover Sport

I'd hold off buying either, both models are due for replacement in the next few years. Current Range Rover Sport has been arround since 2005 & the X5 since 2006. Maybe look at the Porsche Cayenne or New Mercedes ML. I would go for the X5 40d if I was limited to your three options.

Fuji White Dynamic Si4
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012 06:36am by sethor.)
08-03-2012 06:35am
memota

(08-03-2012 06:35am)sethor Wrote:  I'd hold off buying either, both models are due for replacement in the next few years. Current Range Rover Sport has been arround since 2005 & the X5 since 2006. Maybe look at the Porsche Cayenne or New Mercedes ML. I would go for the X5 40d if I was limited to your three options.

Thanks Sethor.

I also just found out Aus misses out on some of the upgrades to the RRS that have just gone out, such as the 8 speed gearbox and larger sat nav display. Frustrating and makes it seem more of a compromised choice.

Still in the mix though.
08-03-2012 06:42am
chiggy

(08-03-2012 06:35am)sethor Wrote:  I'd hold off buying either, both models are due for replacement in the next few years. Current Range Rover Sport has been arround since 2005 & the X5 since 2006. Maybe look at the Porsche Cayenne or New Mercedes ML. I would go for the X5 40d if I was limited to your three options.

I agree. The RRS is due for replacement soon as is the X5. Although if you have to buy one now I would definitely go with the RRS.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
10-03-2012 11:41am
memota

(10-03-2012 11:41am)chiggy Wrote:  I agree. The RRS is due for replacement soon as is the X5. Although if you have to buy one now I would definitely go with the RRS.

Thanks

I drive a RRS today along with the X5 today.

X5 is clearly a more modern car, and the RRS as my wife said looks like a 5 year old car. The interior plastics felt a bit more dated - slightly mismatched.

Having said that we both loved the way the RRS drove in TDV6 form. Slower on paper (much compared to the 40d), but still hammered along when you were going at 40 and put your foot down. Really impressive engine. We loved the style of driving, smooth, comfy seats, really felt like a different experience compared to the X5. And I'm
currently in a golf GTI that goes very quickly around town. In comparison the X5 was like a sedan but higher.

I suspect the update to the RRS will be more substantial than the update to the X5 too.

However head says X5, but heart RRS. The upgraded optional stereo is simply amazing (Logic 7).

Any thoughts on the interior of the RRS? Will it look tired when out of the showroom?

Really torn with indecision. I'll keep this for 4-5 years.

Any idea when the updated RRS might hit? Can't find anything on line at all, just the new FFRR.
10-03-2012 11:52am
chiggy

Well with the FFRR estimated to release at the end of the year, my assumption would be the RRS in 2014 (announced mid-end of next year -2013). That way the FFRR will be popular seller in 2013, the new RRS in 2014 and the DC100 in 2015 meaning they will constantly have orders throughout the next 4 years at least.

Queue facelift in 2016 for the evoque.

I absolutely love the current interior in the RRS. The BMW is just too generic in BMW and its standard German. Efficient, effective and neatly presented.

I just don't like the electronic steering on the bmws. Sometimes the feedback can get very frustrating although not entirely sure how it is on the X5.
The BMW interior doesn't excite me or isn't at inviting as the RRS interior. Although I guess I am talkif about it in relation to the pre facelift RRS interior which was awful.

I will admit the RRS has been my favourite car so my heart is with the RRS.

Evoque Round 2: Fuji Si4 Dynamic - 5dr. Pursuit interior. Dynamic Tech Pack. Adaptive Xenons. 19in Standard Alloy wheels. Twisted Evil
Contrast black roof (to be painted soon). (Previously a Firenze Pure owner - still my favourite colour Wink)
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 12:41pm by chiggy.)
10-03-2012 12:38pm