Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto box and neutral
WavyDavy

RE: Auto box and neutral

Thanks for all the responses.

I have to say that, although I recognise there probably aren't that many benefits from coasting in neutral, and that there is a safety issue with regard to corrective systems not working, I still can't see how this could do any damage to the car. If it could then surely LR wouldn't allow you to put it in neutral over a certain speed.

I also get the point that the fuel gets cut off when in drive without the accelerator pressed, thus a short hill or flat whereby you're coming to a halt anyway, you'd be better to leave it in drive until you stop.

But on a long downhill slope whereby you just want to keep going for as long as possible without any drag, I still feel that putting the car in neutral gets you further without needing to apply the accelerator.

I still can't decide how long the hill would need to be before you would save fuel either way. I'm on the fence at the moment!
(This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 08:25pm by WavyDavy.)
20-02-2013 08:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

Coasting in neutral will use more fuel than coasting with the car in gear. If you need a more detailed explanation go along to your nearest LR Experience Centre and ask the instructor to demonstrate/expalin.
20-02-2013 08:54pm
Cedric

(20-02-2013 08:54pm)rchrdleigh Wrote:  Coasting in neutral will use more fuel than coasting with the car in gear. If you need a more detailed explanation go along to your nearest LR Experience Centre and ask the instructor to demonstrate/expalin.

@rchrdleigh

I understand the fuel gets cut off, but imagine the following example.

You're on a motorway with an endless downhill to hell Smile You don't gain or lose speed in neutral and drive at 75km/h, You would use about 1l of fuel on 100km.
Do the same test and put it in drive. Your speed would drop beneath 70km/h quickly, which is not legal in Belgium at least. As a result you need to accelerate all the time.
Do the test at 70km/h and you wouldn't be able not to apply throttle.

So there are situations where you could improve fuel economy by coasting.
20-02-2013 09:30pm
Biker

You're on a motorway with an a slightly steeper endless downhill to hell. You don't gain or lose speed in gear and drive at 75km/h, You would use about 0l of fuel on 100km.
Do the same test and put it in neutral. Your speed would increase above 75km/h quickly, which is not legal in Belgium at least. As a result you need to use the brakes all the time. Wink
It all statistical depends how you look at it Wink

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
21-02-2013 08:00am
Teetree

Auto box and neutral

I just don't see why you would want to bother messing around with the gears? Didn't you get an automatic so you didn't have to do that?
I just have an image of you uncontrollably shooting down a hill with the crazy occupants inside messing with your gear dial Smile

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto 5door, powered tailgate, front sensors, rear camera , pano roof, heated steering wheel, front fogs, xenons, spare wheel, 19" diamond turned alloys
21-02-2013 12:35pm
Cedric

(21-02-2013 08:00am)Biker Wrote:  It all statistical depends how you look at it Wink

Exactly!

(21-02-2013 12:35pm)Teetree Wrote:  I just don't see why you would want to bother messing around with the gears? Didn't you get an automatic so you didn't have to do that?
I just have an image of you uncontrollably shooting down a hill with the crazy occupants inside messing with your gear dial Smile

I only put it into neutral when I'm waiting at traffic lights and when approaching a red light if the surface is not slippery.
21-02-2013 02:04pm
invoke

Driving downhill in neutral: You are saving fuel at the cost using expensive brakes and putting unnecessary repeated extra force load on ball joints, suspension etc.

Regardless any cruising is best handled with gears.

Thx
(This post was last modified: 21-02-2013 03:42pm by invoke.)
21-02-2013 03:39pm
Cedric

(21-02-2013 03:39pm)invoke Wrote:  Driving downhill in neutral: You are saving fuel at the cost using expensive brakes and putting unnecessary repeated extra force load on ball joints, suspension etc.

Regardless any cruising is best handled with gears.

Thx

Oviously I just put it into drive before hitting the brakes going downhill. but you're final sentence sums it up Smile
21-02-2013 08:26pm
trav

(17-02-2013 12:22pm)Bowl Wrote:  1)
Actually you can. If the car is traveling faster than 10 km/h, the rotary selector can move freely anywhere between D-N-R, however if an opposite direction gear mode is selected (R when driving forward or D when driving backwards), it will not engage and clutch is released (just like in neutral) unless the speed falls below 5 km/h.

2)
At 10 km/h or less, if you turn the knob from D to N, it will be locked at N after 2 seconds but you can always return the selector back to D anytime by depressing the brake pedal to unlock (just a light touch on the pedal will do).

Off note)
That is not true, the only time the gear automatically goes to P is when the engine is shut down and the selector is at any position other than N, the rotary selector immediately returns to P and retracts. If the selector is at N when the engine stops, the car will wait 10 minutes before returning to P and retracts. This 10 minutes delay allows for a drive-through car washes and the likes. If the car is locked with the selector at N, it will immediately return to P and retracts, the 10 minutes delay is disregarded.

Last but not least)
Of course there is a way. There is a small lever to manually select the gear between P or N. This knob is located on the GSM (Gear Shift Module) which is above the gear box. However, you'll need to remove the air cleaner box to access the GSM.

Bowl, on that last point I cannot find the lever to manually select? I have a diesel 2012 and the electrics are stuffed and its stuck on the beach and I cannot tow because the transmission and park brake are stuck on? How do I manually get it to neutral? currently the console has been pulled apart, but cannot find it, I have been under the bonnet and removed the air cleaner box but its not there?? help?
ThanksSmile
04-05-2014 08:42am
trevd01

Driving an automatic Evoque

1. Start car
2. Put into Drive (the car will release the parking brake)
3. Set off
4. Arrive
5. Switch off (the car will put into Park and apply the parking brake)

That's it. Nothing else is needed.

The Evoque is fitted with a parking brake, for use when parking. Not ideal or sensible for use at traffic lights.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 08:43pm by trevd01.)
06-05-2014 08:42pm