Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto Lights and Fog!
PhilSkill

Auto Lights and Fog!

I'm not a fan of Auto Lights, but if you use them please be aware..

YOUR AUTO LIGHTS DO NOT COME ON IN BRIGHT FOG...!

I saw a lot of cars without lights on, making it extreemly hazardous out there this morning.

Some of those will just be the clueless, but Freelanders were definitely among the worst vehicle (as there's a lot of them to be seen) running around on front DRL's only.

It would help if rear lights were on all the time, there's no reason for this not to be the case now we have LED lights. Volvo's have been doing this for years.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
14-03-2014 10:02am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Auto Lights and Fog!

Thank you Phil - as you know I have pressed and pressed for LR to look into this but "because it is not a legal requirement" they won't even think about rear DRL's - I suspect it will take one of their senior execs to meet his demise in such an accident before the rest of us can have a car that can be seen from the rear in foggy conditions with only the front DRL's on.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 10:40am by XFullFatTim.)
14-03-2014 10:38am
cjfp

And, as I posted last year, if you have 'auto' on and it has decided to put your lights on and you have decided to put your fog lights on then, if you hit bright fog (as per above) it will switch the lights back to just DRLS and turn off the fog lights! As Tim post above, this was highlighted to LR but, probably due to litigation etc, they said that the programme was as per the current law.

Oh, and what's the excuse for those muppets with absolutely no lights on ?!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
(This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 05:44pm by cjfp.)
14-03-2014 05:34pm
mark_n

I think it's a clear example of how driver aids are not foolproof and will not work all the time. Radar Cruise, Auto Parking, Blind Spot Monitoring, Auto Dip Headlights, Wade Sensing and so on. They are only as good as the sensor info they have and it's often not good enough.

I like driver aids which give you more info, like cameras, parking sensors but the decision how to use it must always be down to me.
14-03-2014 06:54pm
cjfp

Agreed, but if they are there then they should be structured / programmed to their best - why not have rear lights on when on DRL even if law says not required? If user has actively switched on fog lights, logic says it must be safer to leave them on and let user switch off.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
14-03-2014 07:02pm
donot521

I think it is common sense to manually turn on the light during heavy fog.... Common sense people
15-03-2014 02:17am
XFullFatTim

donot, it is BUT many many people in the UK seem to have forgotten that they do need to manually turn on headlights in certain weather conditions that are not dark enough to trigger the auto-on system. Last evening as I was driving home from town in the dark I must have drive passed at least 6 cars (not all RRE's I hasten to add) driving in the dark on DRL's only............. so not only are theynot drving with due care and attention, they don't even have the auto-on switched to auto!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-03-2014 08:27am
recordman

I think it's quite an issue now that people rely too much on auto-headlights. An early foggy morning start off in the dark, the lights are on - good. As the time passes it gets lighter but the fog remains and the lights go off - bad!

Also, is there a reason why headlights aren't programmed to come on when the wipers are in use? I'm sure that I've had rental cars in the U.S. that do that. Surely this would be a sensible step.

2013 SD4 Prestige auto/5dr/OG/Fuji pano roof
15-03-2014 11:24am
cjfp

(15-03-2014 11:24am)recordman Wrote:  Also, is there a reason why headlights aren't programmed to come on when the wipers are in use? I'm sure that I've had rental cars in the U.S. that do that. Surely this would be a sensible step.

Iirc, i think they do.

15-03-2014 12:01pm
XFullFatTim

If you have auto on headlights and wipers on the Evoque the headlights will switch on once the wipers have completed either 3 or 5 sweeps of the windscreen - cannot remember which as it is such a long time since I have driven an Evoque in the wet!

15-03-2014 01:50pm