Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Audio
Kermit

RE: Audio

(18-04-2011 09:59am)vision*R Wrote:  You'd still get a biased sound image with or without the centre speaker, simply because you're not sitting in the middle of the car.

The Audyssey processor can do a hell of a lot to alter this.
18-05-2011 04:46am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vision*R

Yes but they can't defy physics. Two persons in the same car (not to mention four or five) can't have a perfect sound image.
The sound of the speaker close to you will always arrive sooner than the other.

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
18-05-2011 07:53am
Alex

(18-05-2011 07:53am)vision*R Wrote:  Yes but they can't defy physics. Two persons in the same car (not to mention four or five) can't have a perfect sound image.
The sound of the speaker close to you will always arrive sooner than the other.

What I’m talking about is the improved soundstage by the addition of the meridian system- speakers and technology.

In typical stereo set-up we are only dealing with two wave fronts (which have different amplitudes), and in a vehicle we will typically have multiple listeners in different locations, while your comments above are perhaps referring to binaural systems with a single listener sitting in the assumed ‘sweet spot’.

It’s obviously a more difficult task to produce the desired signals for a multitude of listeners simultaneously. However technology has moved on fortunately with the use of a multi-channel DSP system controlling 16 electro-acoustic paths it allows for either the same or different virtual sound images for each listener, simultaneously (ensuring the sound pressure at each listener will be similar) - this is what the Meridian system is achieving.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
18-05-2011 08:55am
Kermit

(18-05-2011 07:53am)vision*R Wrote:  The sound of the speaker close to you will always arrive sooner than the other.

Not true. DSPs can add delay to those that are close, thus moving the image so it sounds like your in the middle even when you're in the driver's seat. Individual frequencies can have additions/subtractions applied resulting in dramatic changes to the sound stage.

Many of the European brands offer this sort of signal processing in the systems. My parents have it in their Q5 and I have it with my add on Alpine PXE-650 Imprint (nee Audyssey) processor.
(18-05-2011 08:55am)Alex Wrote:  with the use of a multi-channel DSP system controlling 16 electro-acoustic paths it allows for either the same or different virtual sound images for each listener, simultaneously (ensuring the sound pressure at each listener will be similar) - this is what the Meridian system is achieving.

This will obviously only be available with the upgrade option, but the standard system will hopefully pass muster.
(This post was last modified: 18-05-2011 11:40am by Kermit.)
18-05-2011 11:35am
griff

Simple question for all you Hi-Fi buffs out there
If you listen to a lot of music in the car is it worth the upgrade to the 825 system?
I get confused by all the tech stuff.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
18-05-2011 12:02pm
vision*R

Griff, we all have that question.
Nobody has listened to either of the systems yet...

Prestige TD4 5d / Fuji White / Tech pack / Parallel park / Pano / Order 26/01/2011 / Build 13/12/11 / Arrival 04/01/2012
18-05-2011 12:56pm
Kermit

(18-05-2011 12:02pm)griff Wrote:  If you listen to a lot of music in the car is it worth the upgrade to the 825 system?

Value for money wise, probably not. Only YOUR ears can tell you whether it is worth it.
18-05-2011 02:01pm
paulus599

(18-05-2011 08:55am)Alex Wrote:  In typical stereo set-up we are only dealing with two wave fronts (which have different amplitudes), and in a vehicle we will typically have multiple listeners in different locations, while your comments above are perhaps referring to binaural systems with a single listener sitting in the assumed ‘sweet spot’.

It’s obviously a more difficult task to produce the desired signals for a multitude of listeners simultaneously. However technology has moved on fortunately with the use of a multi-channel DSP system controlling 16 electro-acoustic paths it allows for either the same or different virtual sound images for each listener, simultaneously (ensuring the sound pressure at each listener will be similar) - this is what the Meridian system is achieving.

Simple really Shocked Shocked Laughing

SD4 Prestige Coupe Auto, Fuji White, Pano roof, Park assist, Powered tailgate, Style 6 alloys, Element interior, Adaptive Dynamics. Build date: WAS 21/10/2011 Delivered 13/12/2011
Now: Evoque SD4 Coupe
Gone: TTS Roadster
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Mercedes SLK
18-05-2011 02:17pm
griff

(18-05-2011 02:01pm)Kermit Wrote:  
(18-05-2011 12:02pm)griff Wrote:  If you listen to a lot of music in the car is it worth the upgrade to the 825 system?

Value for money wise, probably not. Only YOUR ears can tell you whether it is worth it.
Good Point well put. Just have to wait - i do like my music and have opted for the full monty - i'll ask the question at Earls Court on Friday.
Cheers

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
18-05-2011 05:46pm
herrmoby

My current car is a FL2 with the biggest audio system (Alpine) offered by LR. the sound is disappointing, especially the subwwoofer is very weak.
I ordered an Evoque Pure and cannot upgrade the sound-system, but I am curious about the difference between the ordinary Meridian system and the big one. Does anyone have information whether both systems use the same subwoofer? This week I had the chance to listen to the huge system for some minutes and I had a good impression.
My audio at home is very British: Audiolab CD-player and pre-amp, Spendor 75 A speakers and Thorens turntable.

on order: Pure - Fuji white, 5 door, auto, pan roof
2005-2008 BMW 530d, 2008-2011 LR FL2
17-07-2011 12:38am