Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any legal eagles on the forum?
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Any legal eagles on the forum?

I'm interested in buying a property and in the seller's agent's blurb is the phrase that there is a "legal right of pre-emption" in favour of a 3rd party. I assume that this means that the property could be being sold on behalf of somebody else who has "first right of refusal" or that the seller has used the property as security for a mortgage or loan and the people listed as having the " legal right of pre-emption" are the guarantors? It isn't a bank or corporation, the people listed as having the right of redemption are a couple?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 06:25pm by XFullFatTim.)
04-03-2012 06:24pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

RE: Any legal eagles on the forum?

(04-03-2012 06:24pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I'm interested in buying a property and in the seller's agent's blurb is the phrase that there is a "legal right of pre-emption" in favour of a 3rd party. I assume that this means that the property could be being sold on behalf of somebody else who has "first right of refusal" or that the seller has used the property as security for a mortgage or loan and the people listed as having the " legal right of pre-emption" are the guarantors? It isn't a bank or corporation, the people listed as having the right of redemption are a couple?

I think it means that this couple have the right to buy the property at the price you offer in preference to you, and you will only be able to proceed yourself if they don't want it. I also think you should consult a solicitor!

(In terms of company shares, it means that a director can't sell his shares to a third party without giving existing directors first refusal).
04-03-2012 07:13pm
XFullFatTim

I didn't think this sort of sale was permitted under Scottish Law as the property is for sale up here in Central Scotland

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
04-03-2012 07:38pm
Donny Dog

(04-03-2012 07:38pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I didn't think this sort of sale was permitted under Scottish Law as the property is for sale up here in Central Scotland

Aaaaah, you never mentioned Scotland! (At least we now know where "somewhere between here and there" is!! Wink

You definitely need to consult a (Scottish) solicitor.
04-03-2012 08:13pm
BobM

Try this link

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPorta..._CL_000157

Pure, SD4, Auto, 5 door, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ebony, privacy, rear camera, front sensors, fog lights, spare wheel, auto lights and wipers - Delivered 14.3.15 Very Happy

Gone but not forgotten - Old rattly 1.3.12 - 31.5.13 - Pure, SD4, manual, 5 door, Fuji, 19" style 4, ebony/ebony, spare wheel, privacy.
04-03-2012 11:16pm
XFullFatTim

Thanks Bob, that answered my problem. How they hope to sell the property with that question mark hanging over it at the price that is being asked (offers over £625,000) I don't know.

04-03-2012 11:21pm
Donny Dog

Very similar to the use of the term in English law, then. Presumably after the pre-emption period elapses (assuming the decline to bid) you can proceed with your offer safely if you wish.
04-03-2012 11:43pm