Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another Puncture
mark_n

Another Puncture

So, for the second time, I've had reason to be grateful I spec'd a space saver spare wheel. This time, miles from anywhere, a weird screw in the tyre and a flat. A quick 15 minutes to change (though I wish I'd had a big poly bag to put the filthy wheel in and some wipes to clean my hands) and the tyre was plugged yesterday for £22.

Who knows whether a can of gunk would have got me home; the tyre would have been ruined and I would have been late.

It really is a must-have option, providing of course you are capable of changing the wheel or can enlist the help of someone. I say that because a 20 inch Evoque wheel is surprisingly heavy and you need to be able to lift it into the car.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-03-2014 04:32pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartbreakRidge

Another Puncture

Yeah, no runflats or cans of gunk, give me a real spare tire!

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
29-03-2014 04:48pm
mark_n

RE: Another Puncture

Interestingly, I understand plugging motorcycle tyres is now banned and plugging all tyres is banned in Germany. Eventually, we may have the same in the UK. Then ,the benefit of a spare will be just to get you home, you'll still be facing the cost of a new tyre at which point some sort of insurance begins to look reasonable.

Mark

29-03-2014 04:53pm
Evo-king

Mark_n.

You have just put my mind at ease as I added this to my order spec yesterday, in theory my order is locked down, bar the last minute In-Control issue.

Tyre dealers are very careful with plugging tyres now as they are reluctant to go close to the edge of the tyre.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
29-03-2014 06:23pm
HeartbreakRidge

(29-03-2014 06:23pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Tyre dealers are very careful with plugging tyres now as they are reluctant to go close to the edge of the tyre.

They are over here as well. I've been lucky that the couple flats I've had were always repairable.

MY2014 Pure Plus, Firenze Red, Lunar/Cirrus interior, Climate Care & Vision Assist packages
Built: March 10, 2014 / Delivery Date (three weeks early!): March 26, 2014
29-03-2014 06:41pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

One change with TPMS on my new car.................... it no longer just lets you know that a tyre is deflating, it tells you the tyre pressures as well now!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-03-2014 09:10pm
mark_n

That's good to hear - I deleted it from my Evoque because the original function was so poor - the sensors told the car the pressures but it did not display them.

Mark

30-03-2014 12:11am
benzina

(29-03-2014 09:10pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  One change with TPMS on my new car.................... it no longer just lets you know that a tyre is deflating, it tells you the tyre pressures as well now!

Tim, where abouts does it give you the read out on tyre pressure? I have TPMS, i wonder if it could be a retro fit option?

2012 Dynamic SD4 Auto 5-Door / Indus / Black Roof / Vortex / AD / Style 7 Alloys / Panoramic Roof / Rear Vents / BSM / TPMS / Sat Nav
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 12:54am by benzina.)
30-03-2014 12:53am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Benzina, I have a stewed brain at the moment with all the handing over stuff yesterday. I didn't even get out the manual last night. I'll get back to you - it is in the Info Screen and I bet it is just a software update. I will be interested to see if the sensors in my spare set of winter tyres/wheels still work with it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
30-03-2014 07:34am
mark_n

I am sure it is just a question of software but there are a number of software changes for MY2014 to display, for example, more information when off-roading so whether there would be an update to display the tyre pressures in real time, I do not know.

The problem with the original system is that it didn't give you early warning to avoid further damage which displaying the actual pressures does. I checked mine yesterday after a puncture and they were all a bit low, now 2.5 on the front, 2.2 on the back and the car is riding much better.

How's the new car Tim, are you pleased with it?

Mark

30-03-2014 09:04am