Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tow bar? options for bike carrier
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Tow bar? options for bike carrier

If the tow bar locates into a receiver than you may find that you can remove it when not in use................ in the photos ED there is a galvanised nut and bolt close up to the rear valance, have a look and see if on the nut end there is a Nyloc nut (nut with the blue or opaque plastic washer inside the outer thread) or a spring pin that holds the rest of the draw to the car. If it has either then you should be able to unbolt the extension and tow ball when not in use.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
19-04-2012 04:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Original forgery

(06-04-2012 10:20am)ED209 Wrote:  Sorry if this is a repost but struggling to find what i want to know via search.

Basically i am consdiering the tow bar mounted bike rack option instead of roof bars. As i am a numpty fitting the bar myself isnt really an option.

So can any of you give me the best options/companies that will be able to fit me a tow bar. Preferably one that avoids a hole being cut in the bumper and has a detachable ball to maintain the cars looks.

Im also looking at value as I have just paid for a car and a new bike so i am a bit skint at this point in time!!

Hi there.
We had a tow bar fitted by our dealer (just to save time really). We didn't have a flange type but just the swan neck.
For the bike rack, we found that Thule do one that clamps straight to the ball! ( we didn't believe it either ). Trust me though, when it's fitted (one clamp bolt and spanner) it's very rigid. It has it's own number plate and light board with a seven pin plug.
It takes seconds to fit.
Ours was for three bikes although they do make a two bike version. As the bikes wheels sit in troughs rather than suspended from their cross bars, it works for modern mountain bikes as well as conventional ones. You need to be a bit careful when putting the first bike on as it's a bit near the rear door. We found it best to put the heaviest first, followed by next adult bike and then our 10 year olds.
We find it very secure with only a very slight flex when you " rog it ". As I'm not 6 ft 17 tall thought it would easier than the roof option.
Hope that's some helpVery Happy
Best bit was Halfords had it on offer for £149.00.
(This post was last modified: 19-04-2012 05:19pm by Original forgery.)
19-04-2012 05:17pm
ED209

(19-04-2012 05:17pm)Original forgery Wrote:  Hi there.
We had a tow bar fitted by our dealer (just to save time really). We didn't have a flange type but just the swan neck.
For the bike rack, we found that Thule do one that clamps straight to the ball! ( we didn't believe it either ). Trust me though, when it's fitted (one clamp bolt and spanner) it's very rigid. It has it's own number plate and light board with a seven pin plug.
It takes seconds to fit.
Ours was for three bikes although they do make a two bike version. As the bikes wheels sit in troughs rather than suspended from their cross bars, it works for modern mountain bikes as well as conventional ones. You need to be a bit careful when putting the first bike on as it's a bit near the rear door. We found it best to put the heaviest first, followed by next adult bike and then our 10 year olds.
We find it very secure with only a very slight flex when you " rog it ". As I'm not 6 ft 17 tall thought it would easier than the roof option.
Hope that's some helpVery Happy
Best bit was Halfords had it on offer for £149.00.

cheers but read the thread, already have towbar fitted now.

Total cost of witter flange towbar, electrics, fitting and a top notch witter 3 bike rack = considerably cheaper than landrover wanted for a towbar alone.

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
19-04-2012 06:24pm
Original forgery

(19-04-2012 06:24pm)ED209 Wrote:  cheers but read the thread, already have towbar fitted now.

Total cost of witter flange towbar, electrics, fitting and a top notch witter 3 bike rack = considerably cheaper than landrover wanted for a towbar alone.

Hello

Sorry. As the thread was titled "RE: Tow bar? options for bike carrier" I though I'd share my option / experiences.
19-04-2012 06:32pm
ED209

Few pics with the bike rack fitted just to give idea of what it looks like,

[Image: dsc0376aq.jpg]

[Image: dsc0378p.jpg]

[Image: dsc0384k.jpg]

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
08-05-2012 06:37pm
ED209

On a side note, had a good check of the car today and noticed the towbar is poppoing the bumper slightly out of kilter as it is putting pressure on the bottom of the bumper. Taking the car down at lunch time to get it sorted.

I believe this is because the fitter didnt take the 5mm cut from the bottom of the bumper which i did mention to him at the time.

09-05-2012 09:20am