Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
After Market TPMS
mark_n

After Market TPMS

Regular readers will know I deleted TPMS from the spec of my car because the £405 RRE version only delivers function which Audi charge £85 for making it spectacularly bad value for money.

I like TPMS though when it displays the tyre pressures (which the RRE version does not) and there's an aftermarket system called TyreSure (Google TyreSure TPMS) with a smart looking display panel which displays the temperatures and pressures and warns you if they go out of spec, ideal, costs about £180 but the tyres need to come off to fit the sensors and of course the wheels need rebalancing. One place in Chester charges £60 to do all four wheels which I think is more than reasonable.

However, I've read that "from 2012", TPMS will be mandatory in all new cars and I expect the low rent version meets the legal requirements even though it is better to be able to see the actual pressures in real time. Currently an option, I expect JLR will bundle it in as standard and hike the price of the car.

Does anyone know when "from 2012" is? Model year? 1 January? April Fools Day?

Also, for those with a car already, any suggestions where the display unit (83 * 50mm) could best be placed in an Evoque?

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 02:14pm by mark_n.)
10-10-2011 02:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: After Market TPMS

All cars were supposed to have DRL's after March 2011 IIRC - what that actually meant was all NEW cars built after that date had to have them, so if TPMS is to become a requirement then it will be on new builds after the date the rule comes into force. So if your car is built up to one minute before midnight on the day before you won't need to have them. I agree about having the pressures displayed being really useful because with the LR system it is still possible to run with under/ over inflated tyres.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 02:54pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-10-2011 02:50pm
Spiderman

Mark, regarding where you would fit the unit you mention, I'd suggest either on the dash metal/wood trim strip on the opposite side of the air vents to the starter button or atop the dashboard at the right of the instrument binnacle near the internal A pillar as both locations would enable you to see the unit and it would blend in better in either.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 03:23pm by Spiderman.)
10-10-2011 03:17pm
mark_n

Thanks for the suggestion.
A further thought, how about above the rear view mirror? I expect there will be a power take off there for the auto-dimming mirror or interior lights.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2011 05:55pm by mark_n.)
10-10-2011 05:02pm
Spiderman

That would work too.

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
11-10-2011 03:01am