Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adding center channel speaker to 380w system
Clip

RE: Adding center channel speaker to 380w system

Hmmm, there seems to be a lot of differences between the audio setups in the Evoque. Given that my sub had nothing driving it and you guys saying how bad yours are. My 380w Meridian system is excellent (especially since i added an amp to drive the oem sub). There is certainly a lot of sound processing going on as its quite an immersive sound - unlike the Harmon Kardon DSP in the Benz that just sounds like a surround system only because of all the speakers. I generally turn the DSP off which quietens down the centre speaker and gives me back some channel separation and staging.

As I mentioned in first post, I have to have front and rear speakers all running otherwise it just doesn't work (albeit with a bit of bias towards the front). The imaging is very good and I listen to some Chesky binaural series recordings (e.g. Amber Rubarth, Jazz in the New Harmonic, Alexis Cole), and they sound simply wonderful. There hasnt been a single person thats been in the car and listened to music that hasn't commented on how good it sounds.
I wish I could do a comparison with you guys.
Just to reassure I do have some idea of what good sound is, although it is very subjective, my home system comprises of Dynaudio speakers, Thorens tt, Arcam amps, Sonos for digital collection via Audiolab DAC.
17-11-2015 01:10pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

I too have the 380W and think it is a great system, agreed if you want strong Bass the Bass could be up-rated, but for overall music it's very very good. I think the 825W system is more about the surround sound for DVD with a bit of extra quality and range.

I have a Burmeister in my Merc and it's also a good car system, but lacks something for an overall immersive feeling.

I do love Sonos too, not just for superb connectivity, and support for uncompressed files, but for excellent Sound too, be it through an Amp or through their own Play units...

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-11-2015 03:50pm
fstfwd

@Clip I appreciate that insight. So on the 11 / 380 setup you just added an amp to the sub? What did you go with?

In my current model, using the Meridien or DolbyDigital option pulls all the vocals and lead instruments to the center but does a great job of pushing other elements to the side 3 (L/R) speakers, creating a wonderfully enveloping experience.

With that off, it's just stereo to all speakers and sounds a bit odd...

I realize it's a little "apples and oranges" comparison., just something I want to improve in the new model.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
Pure Premium / Illuminated Tread Plates / Luggage Bar
(This post was last modified: 17-11-2015 04:03pm by fstfwd.)
17-11-2015 04:01pm
Clip

I initially used an older Alpine amp, but when I heard how good the OEM sub sounded with some power pushing it, I replaced it with a Pioneer GM-D8601. It's a class D mono amp -small in size, but has ample power to push the little sub, plus has a remote level control which is great (placed it below the drivers seat for easy access).

Please don't get me wrong fella's, I fully appreciate how good the 820w system is. Interesting though, it still lacks the bass kick, and I'd still add a dedicated amp to run the sub if I had that system. Smile
18-11-2015 08:13am
fstfwd

Thanks for the reco. I'll look into that.

2012 Range Rover Evoque
Santorini Black / Ebony
Pure Premium / Illuminated Tread Plates / Luggage Bar
20-11-2015 06:52am
Fraggle

(18-11-2015 08:13am)Clip Wrote:  I initially used an older Alpine amp, but when I heard how good the OEM sub sounded with some power pushing it, I replaced it with a Pioneer GM-D8601. It's a class D mono amp -small in size, but has ample power to push the little sub, plus has a remote level control which is great (placed it below the drivers seat for easy access).

Please don't get me wrong fella's, I fully appreciate how good the 820w system is. Interesting though, it still lacks the bass kick, and I'd still add a dedicated amp to run the sub if I had that system. Smile

Hi,

Do you have the wiring details for adding a dedicated amp to the OEM sub?

Thanks

Fraser.
12-12-2015 07:36pm