Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Automatic Hign Beam Assist Headlamps
mark_n

RE: Automatic Hign Beam Assist Headlamps

I'd be surprised if the High Beam Assist was linked to the Xenon delays. There's a sensor in the rear view mirror looking ahead with, I guess, a narrow angle of view together with the ambient light sensor which is used by the auto-dimming rear view mirror.

The software will look for a high contrast situation and dip the lights when it sees one. Easy to see it getting confused by things which are not real car headlights so the software will filter out short term changes - hence the sluggishness of response. It's much more difficult for a machine to recognise a real set of lights than a human.

The High Beam Assist will likely (IMHO) not depend on Xenons but I'm willing to be corrected...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
06-10-2011 07:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
defender_uk

I agree with you Mark..

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
06-10-2011 07:39pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Acwats

I've got this on my 5 Series. In 12 months I've driven 35,000 miles and probably used this for 20 of them.

It works ok but you do tend to override it: when it doesn't turn the lights on fast enough; or when you can see when an oncoming car is in a dip / or over a hill.

If you live in the city or mainly use motorways, don't bother.

MY16 HSE Dynamic Scotia Grey with Lunar/Ice Interior. 508's, Pano Roof, Privacy, Auto Tailgate, Heated s/wheel, spare
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2011 07:43pm by Acwats.)
06-10-2011 07:42pm
PAT

(06-10-2011 06:31pm)defender_uk Wrote:  I had it on my RRS and decided not to bother on the RRE. For me, the response was too slow. They did not come on fast enough on country lanes, and went off too slow on A roads and M/ways, dazzling the other drivers before they dipped. It also depended on the tyope of headlight on the other car as to whether they reacted. To other xenons they reacted well and dipped pretty quick, but to halogens, slower and to old cars...well....

so i decided not to bother again until they improve...a lot.

If they were dependable then I was going to add them but what you've described is exactly what I was concerned about.

I know you can switch the function off but it sounds as if it wouldn't be worth while having it if they aren't 100% accurate.

Current: Si4 - HSE Dynamic Lux - Corris Grey with Black Pano - Adaptive Dynamics - ATPC - Adaptive LED Headlights - Privacy Glass - Style 508's - Heated Steering Wheel - Spare Wheel - Ebony Headlining
Previous: Si4 - Dynamic 5 Door - Lux - Orkney Grey with Black Pano
06-10-2011 07:59pm
FFRR

It's an element of the Vision Assist Pack on my Range Rover that I really like. The cameras are more of a novelty but the blind spot system is great to. Would recommend anyone spec the equivalent pack on Evoque if there is one? I doubt it will cause xenon delays, as, as has been said the sensor sits below the rear view mirror and the lights are the same AFAIK. It works well in my experience.
06-10-2011 09:21pm
DynamicRRV

(06-10-2011 09:21pm)FFRR Wrote:  It's an element of the Vision Assist Pack on my Range Rover that I really like. The cameras are more of a novelty but the blind spot system is great to. Would recommend anyone spec the equivalent pack on Evoque if there is one? I doubt it will cause xenon delays, as, as has been said the sensor sits below the rear view mirror and the lights are the same AFAIK. It works well in my experience.

I have specified the Vision Assist Pack then as I have the Blind Spot and cameras and high beam assist too.Very Happy
06-10-2011 10:54pm